Skip over navigation

Did The Office Series Finale Deliver?

Did The Office Series Finale Deliver?

By Elodie

NBC Universal

In a word… YES.

In another word… ASDLKHFKHWKHWPOLGG.

Can we talk about this? LET’S TALK ABOUT THIS. If you haven’t seen it yet, you know the drill. I’m about to gush spoilers galore. I’ve already spoiled it for three people that don’t even watch the show, so beware.

The Return of Michael Scott: For weeks—nay, MONTHS—they were telling us that Steve Carell would not, under any circumstances be making an appearance in the finale, that Michael Scott had made his departure and that was that. But NOT ONLY did Michael make one last foray into the world of Scranton, he did it with an artfully crafted "that’s what she said" joke to bring it all home.

Jim’s Final Prank: Jim’s last glorious prank on Dwight, ending a blood feud that spanned nine seasons, was to duck out at the last minute as his best man (on a Schrute wedding technicality) and bring Michael in instead. They’ve come a long way from Jim putting Dwight’s stapler in Jell-O.

The Bachelor/Bachelorette Parties: I thought the fact that Dwight and Angela had similar adverse reactions to the presence of strippers at their parties was weirdly wonderful. Angela’s might’ve had something to do with the fact that their stripper turned out to be Meredith’s son Jake, which made for some hilariously terrible mother-son bonding that I will never be able to un-see.

The Wedding: Dwight and Angela got married while standing in their own shallow graves, because of course, right? (That’s a Schrute family tradition going all the way back to season 3.) Also it wouldn’t be a Dwight/Angela wedding without someone having been stuffed into the trunk of a car at one point.

All the Resolutions: Almost everyone got their happy ending. Dwight finally reigns supreme as regional manager (so long as he doesn’t shoot any more guns in the office). Jim and Pam are moving to Austin, Texas, so Jim can snag his dream job. Andy is a Cornell admissions officer, even after his disastrous viral video. Stanley’s retired and living in Florida. Kelly and Ryan ran away together like the uber-dramatic couple they were always meant to be. Oscar’s running for state senator. Creed was arrested, and he managed to impart some sage wisdom before they dragged him off in handcuffs. The writers even tied up plotlines I’d almost forgotten about, like with Erin meeting her birth parents (principal Rosalie Mullins from School of Rock and Stan Sitwell from Arrested Development) and Nellie finally getting her baby. And Michael has kids. Michael has the family he’s always wanted. MICHAEL HAS SO MANY PICTURES OF HIS KIDS THAT HE HAS THEM ON TWO PHONES.

THE CHARACTERS: The Office is and always has been a brilliantly character-driven show, and the finale was no exception. The character interactions were spot-on: Phyllis carrying Angela down the aisle despite their past power struggle over the Party Planning Committee. Dwight firing Jim and Pam so that they would get severance. Oscar being godfather to Dwight and Angela’s son. Phyllis and Stanley dancing at the wedding. Andy and Darryl. Oscar and Kevin. Was it perfect? Probably not. I’ll have to watch it again once the tears stop. But it was a finale that brought us closure and laughter and sobbing and a Greg Daniels cameo and a musical montage sung by the world’s oldest criminal mastermind, and that’s really all we can ask for.

Did you watch the Office finale? Did it live up to your glorious expectations?

Topics: Life
Tags: funny things, the office, tv recaps, shows we love, characters we love

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Elodie

Writer. College student. Good at losing her keys, eating breakfast sandwiches, and holding lifelong grudges. She realizes none of these things will help her survive a zombie apocalypse, and she’s made her peace with that. You can follow her on Twitter @elleohdee, but it’s just going to be a lot of complaining.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.