Skip over navigation

Confession: I Failed Three AP Exams

Confession: I Failed Three AP Exams

By Ricki Hurtado

AP exams are here and everyone is freaking out. After a whole year of studying a topic, you now find yourself cramming like crazy as you shove donut holes and Powerade down your gullet during those miserable all-nighters. It's madness, I tell you! Can we sue the school for cruel and unusual punishment?

But what if the unthinkable happens? What if, after all you've done to prepare, you fail your AP exam? Well Sparklers, that's what happened to me. And guess what? Everything turned out alright. But let's start from the beginning!

I took AP classes for the majority of high school. Even though I wasn't a ridiculous mega-genius, I was smart enough to get good grades in the advanced classes. Tests and projects in AP classes were fine, but the actual AP exam seemed so much scarier! In hindsight, it probably wasn't that much different than our schoolwork, but because of the pressure it seemed like the hardest thing in the world.

Even though I passed the majority of my AP exams, I have to admit that I did fail a couple. My junior year I got a 2 in one subject, but to be fair, everyone else I talked to got a 2 as well! My senior year, I took three AP exams for classes I didn't even take because I thought they would be easy enough to pass. Yeah, that didn't turn out so well. On all three of those exams, I got a 1.

So what did this mean for me?  Was I doomed to a life of mediocrity? Did the doors of college close in my face? Would they not even let me walk across the stage to graduate because I had SHAMED my SCHOOL with my FAILURE?!?!

Of course not! That's ridiculous! Don't be so dramatic!

Because I failed a couple of exams, I just have to take those courses in college (and only if I'm required to by my major). That's literally it. I still graduated in the top 15% with a GPA over 4.0. I still got accepted into an Honors College and won some scholarship moolah.

The thing you need to remember, smarty Sparklers, is that the AP exam isn't your future. It doesn't define who you are or where you go in life. All it does is give you a chance to nerd your way out of college courses early.

The initial shock of seeing a low score on your AP results can be pretty disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. Good luck and don't stress yourself out too much!

Have you ever failed an AP exam?

Topics: School, Life
Tags: confessions, test anxiety, aps, tests, ap exams, failing, test stress, failing your ap exam

Write your own comment!