Skip over navigation

Don't Freak Out, But I Don't Think The Great Gatsby Is All That Great

Don't Freak Out, But I Don't Think The Great Gatsby Is All That Great

By Ricki Hurtado

Like the rest of you Sparklers, I am crazy excited for The Great Gatsby movie coming out this weekend! As a teenage girl, I am morally obligated to see every film Leonardo DiCaprio is in and swoon into my popcorn every time he flashes his rakish grun. I've been preparing for this by looking at fashion from the Gatsby era, listening to the movie soundtrack, taking character quizzes, and pretending to be rich by lying around on the couch all day. Hey, if Daisy Buchanan can be lazy, then so can I!

But I have a confession to make. I'm ashamed for what I'm about to say but it's a secret I feel I have to share...I didn't like the book.

Hold your fire on those ketchup-filled balloons! Let me explain myself! I read The Great Gatsby on my own a couple months ago. I wasn't forced to read it by a teacher or for a class, it was my choice. As a responsible, literature-loving civilian, it was my duty to read the book before I saw the movie.

The way I see it, The Great Gatsby is like a literary landscape painting. The writing was beautiful, the symbolism fantastic, and the themes were thought-provoking. Fitzgerald is a fantastic writer and I love his style.

But when it came to the actual story, it was sooo boring! Nothing happened for the first six chapters! The whole thing is one long description of parties and different relationships that people aren't brave enough to pursue! It was a beautifully-worded description with imagery and symbolism, but I mean come on, do we need to dedicate a whole chapter of a rich guy awkwardly standing in a room with his ex? The story didn't get interesting until they went to New York, but that's not until the last three chapters of the book!

I know I'm committing literary suicide, but what am I missing, Sparklers? I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get into it!  Maybe it's because I'm not a romantic, or maybe I just need to read the book again. Is anyone else out there in the same boat as me?

Once I see the movie, I'm sure I'll forget about my criticisms and blindly love the plot. The things I'll do for Leo...

Do you secretly dislike The Great Gatsby? IT'S OKAY, YOU CAN TELL US!

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: books we love, the great gatsby, classic literature, required reading, the great gatsby movie, f. scott fitzgerald, classic novels

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!