Skip over navigation

Quiz: Should You Get a Short Haircut?

Quiz: Should You Get a Short Haircut?

By Ashley Brooke Roberts

Congratulations! Your hair finally got long enough for a ponytail, bun, or one of those cool side braids that wrap around your head and make you look like the type of lady that should be slightly out of focus, walking through the woods, and starring in an indie music video. The bangs grew out and your choppy layers finally caught up to the bottom layer and everything’s right with the world. Yay!

But wait. Something’s missing and you can’t put your finger on it. You thought you’d look like Jemima Kirke, but you don’t. Not even close, really. And now all of a sudden it’s spring: skirts are getting shorter, jeans are turning into shorts, and as much as you hate to admit it, Miley Cyrus does look kinda cute with her short hair. And doesn’t Michelle Williams always look so fresh and clean with that short boy cut? And what about all of those Old Hollywood starlets with short hair? Oh! and what about CAREY MULLIGAN IN DRIVE? OH MY GOD, she was so cute! And the way she wore those little clips in her bob? TOO MUCH. So now, you’re thinking about it. Yeah, you want a change. But you’re a little nervous, because what about all that time you spent growing out your bangs/layers/mullet? Well, luckily for you, we’ve got a little quiz to help you on your way. Proceed with an open mind our lustrous-locks-doubter:

1. Do loose hairs around the house annoy you?
A) Yes! I am tired of picking them off my clothes/out of my shower drain.
B) Nah. I see it as an inconvenient side effect. Sort of like how can you have a cute little kitty cat without some cat hairs on your bed?

2. Does short hair compliment your face?
A) Yes! Having long hair for me means wearing my hair back in a ponytail all of the time. I’m not sure why, but when my hair is pulled back or short it makes me look younger/older/happier.
B) Nah. I look best when my hair is long, loose, and flowing around my face like an enchanted mermaid that just surfaced on land.

3. Are you frustrated by the amount of hair product you go through taking care of your lengthy tresses?
A) Yes! Who knew so much shampoo/conditioner/leave-in conditioner/gel/gloss/etc. was needed to keep these ends un-split and shiny?
B) Nah. I got lots of money. Also, this part of the fun of having long hair.

4. Do you feel like short hair gives you more of a chance to express your style?
A) I mean, do I even need to answer this? Have you seen Rihanna’s style change 100 times with every new crop ‘do?
B) Nah. My style is simple: Disney Princess. I’ve been rocking it since I was nine and I don’t see a reason to change.

5. Does the weather effect how you feel about your hair?
A) Yes! In the summer I want to go run around, wild, totally free, unencumbered by hot, heavy, sticky hair weighing me down.
B) Nah. Neck sweat can be fought with high buns!

6. How attached to your hair are you on a scale of 1 to 10?
A) I’m a five or below. It’s hair, you know? It’ll always grow. It’s there to be played with, messed around with, and changed.
B) I’m a five or above. My hair is very important to me, in fact, the way I look is very important and I feel better if I know exactly what my hair will look like tomorrow.

Well our fickle-haired friends, if you mostly answered A’s it’s time for a change. If B’s rang more true to your tune, stick with the old faithful long-do. The truth of the matter, is that change is fun and who knows what your perfect hairstyle is? That’s the joy of it. You could find it tomorrow, ten years from now, or next week. Life is about trying new things, so if you’ve got the itch to chop, go for it! Just please, please, please, go to a stylist. Take our word for it, an at-home-hair-cut has never been flattering for more than a day. This is a fact. On the other hand, if you’re happy with your hair, yay! Isn’t it great knowing that you like something about yourself and you don’t have to worry about it? Listen, the bottom line for both A’s and B’s is this: go with the flow, trust your gut, and remember it grows back.

Topics: Beauty
Tags: quizzes, hair, haircuts, short hair, long hair

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Ashley Brooke Roberts

Ashley Brooke Roberts is a stand-up comedian, writer, and actor living in Brooklyn. She's a performer at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater and can usually be found smiling at random dogs on the street. Follow her on twitter at @AshleyBRoberts.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners