Skip over navigation

Is Being Intolerant of Intolerance Intolerant?

Is Being Intolerant of Intolerance Intolerant?

By Ricki Hurtado

The gay rights movement has been the main social equality fight of the 21st century. Basically, your answer to the question of whether same sex couples should be allowed to get married is a direct "yes" or "no."

Because of the way I was raised and the beliefs I grew up with, my answer to this question is a "yes."

However, where I live the majority of the population doesn't share my view. Whether their reasoning is religious, social, or political seems to vary. Because I felt so strongly about this issue, I was infuriated by those who disagreed with me. People disgusted with homosexuality disgusted me.

That is, until recently.

Now don't scream and break your computer screens yet! I haven't changed my views and I still strongly believe in marriage equality! The only thing that has changed is my opinion on people who believe differently than me. This all happened when I talked to someone who is an admitted homophobe. He is an incredibly nice, smart, and funny individual, but when I learned this my whole outlook on him changed. After that, I found out more people shared the same phobia. Whenever I go on Facebook, it seems like someone I know and love has a different opinion.

Here's an excerpt of a status that really got to me:

"Simply disagreeing and voicing your opinion against another does not constitute hate or an oppressive mindset. Christ and his followers in the New Testament did love on and befriend the sinners and the undesirable’s of the community. The adulterers, liars, thieves and many more were some of the people who Jesus ate with and stayed with, but he never once condoned their actions. We are all sinful, and all sin is equal in the eyes of God, and according to the scripture, Homosexuality is a sin. People of the LGBT community are still people, and deserve to be treated as people, but there is a difference between hating someone and disagreeing with their actions. Finding a balance to this is something I struggle with every day, considering I am a proud American who believes in the freedom of choice and forging your own path in life, but at the same time some of my Christian beliefs tell me some walks of life are not right."

I hear a lot of this where I'm from. That you should "love the sinner but hate the sin." I also hear, "people who claim to be accepting are sure closed-minded... they can't grasp that tolerance goes both ways."

Even though I disagree with them, I understand their reasoning. It's hard to grow up a certain way and then get knocked down for your beliefs. We always say we should be accepting of others, so does that mean we should accept those who are against what we believe? Is being intolerant of intolerance intolerant?

What do you think, Sparklers? Is it wrong to judge and hate on someone because of their opinions? I still don't know where I stand on the issue, but I would love to know your views on the matter.

Topics: Life
Tags: gay rights, christianity, controversial questions, bigotry, homosexuality, tolerance, intolerance, bigots, human rights, marriage equality

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners