Skip over navigation

10 Bands From 10 Years Ago: Where Are They Now?

10 Bands From 10 Years Ago: Where Are They Now?

By Mike Bertha

Did you know that after we stop listening to them, bands don't actually go away? There's no dusty t closet or island of misfit toys where they just chill until we want to make a playlist for a road trip and decide to break out the ol' hits. They actually keep on living their lives. FAMOUS PEOPLE: They're just like us.

Anyway, here are 10 bands/musicians that totally hope the world hasn't forgotten about them. There's a good chance you've heard of some of 'em—like that guy who hosted SNL the other day, Justin Something? Gah, if only I could remember his name...

1. 3 Doors Down: Remember them? They were on the charts in 2003 with the "hit" When I'm Gone.

What are they up to now? Glad you asked. They're touring the country with Daughtry because middle America LOVES them some cookie cutter mom rock.\m/\m/

2. Justin Timberlake: Perhaps you've heard of him? He was climbin' the charts back in '03 with his incredible breakup ballad Cry Me a River. We're guessing he can rest easy knowing that Britney's cried herself an ocean by now.

And now? Well, unless you're a soulless shell of a human, you took a hammer to your piggy back last week to splurge on tickets for JT's comeback tour featuring the infamous Jay Z. See you at the show. I'll be the one screaming like a girl in the front row.

3. Norah Jones: Ten years ago, Norah Jones was burning up the charts thanks to the greatest album ever recorded, Come Away With Me. It's slow and somber, but it is THE greatest album ever. Promises.

Flash forward to 2013. Norah Jones performed at the Oscars just a few weeks ago. The singer-songwriter was featured in Seth MacFarlane's Ted and sang the Oscar-nominated number from the film at the ceremony. She recently accepted a lifetime Grammy Award on behalf of her father, legendary Indian musician Ravi Shankar, who passed away in December. Jones also toured in support of her latest album last summer. It was produced by Danger Mouse and, thus, was a modern take on her usual style. Check it out. Really. DO IT.

4. Sean Paul: Ah, Sean Paul. Back in '03, Sean Paul instructed everyone to Get Busy. We listened. The song spent three weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart, but those three weeks actually felt like a lifetime.

Recently, Sean Paul was nominated for a Grammy. Seriously. He was up for best reggae album, but didn't win, which means we can all go to sleep tonight with the comfort that we don't live in a world where Sean Paul still wins Grammys.

5. Good Charlotte: Ten years ago, Good Charlotte encouraged us to play Robin Hood and steal from famous people in Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. These guys were everywhere in 2002-2003. That album sold 3.5 million copies. And now I'm going to have The Anthem stuck in my head for the rest of the day. "I don't ever wanna be yooooooouuuuuu..." I meant forever. In. My. Head. Forever.

Where are they now? They recently toured with Yellowcard because all bands from the early aughts are hella tight and have barbecues together and stuff. They've been mulling over a new studio album for years now. Also, Joel Madden is married to Nicole Richie and has two kids. So, that's a thing that's real.

6. Nelly: He used to give us fashion advice, like back when he would tell us where to go stompin' in our Air Force Ones.

What happened? He's releasing mixtapes and appearing as a celebrity coach on reality TV show on the CW with one of the Jonas brothers. Plus, this song because rap is dead.

7. Aaliyah: Aaliyah reached the 2003 Billboard charts with Miss You off of her album, I Care 4 U.

The sad thing is that I Care 4 U was released after Aaliyah's death. The singer/actress died in a plane crash in 2001. She was only 22.

8. 50 Cent: Curtis Jackson burst onto the scene with Wanksta, but got really popular with his 2003 hit In Da Club. It's astonishing that you can still go places and not hear this song every day.

Now? He's busy trying to kiss Erin Andrews on national television.

9. Dixie Chicks: The Dixie Chicks were EVERYWHERE 10 years back after they spoke out against the war in Iraq during a concert in London.

And now? The Dixie Chicks are set to headline the Craven Country Jamboree in Canada, if that's your thing. Also, the group's Natalie Maines has a solo album due out in a couple of months.

10. R. Kelly: In 2003, R. Kelly released the greatest song of all time, Ignition (Remix), which you can see my boy crush Joseph Gordon Levitt sing here, if you don't mind a little profanity.

R. Kelly recently released Trapped in the Closet Chapters 23-33 because he decided that it was high time to give the people want they want. Also, he's playing Bonaroo this June.

Are you guys old enough to remember any of these bands, or was reading this like listening to your grandpa talk about the good old days when he had to walk to school uphill both ways?

Topics: Music, Life
Tags: 50 cent, justin timberlake, music we love, nelly, three doors down, good charlotte, dixie chicks, norah jones, sean paul, r. kelly

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!