Skip over navigation

You Guys, the NYC Teen Author Festival starts TODAY!

You Guys, the NYC Teen Author Festival starts TODAY!

By Kathryn_Williams

Don't get us wrong. We're not saying you should sell your textbooks online, empty your Dalek piggy bank, tell your parents you'll be at Steve's all weekend, and hitchhike to NYC. What is this, 1963?! That would be totally irresponsible. All we're saying is that if you live anywhere close to New York City, A) Oh, you must know my friend Shelley, and B) GET YOUR SPARKLEBUTTS TO THIS FESTIVAL! It starts today and goes through the weekend, so there is time. You don't need to hyperventilate but HYPERVENTILATE.

Started by David Levithan, the Gay Godfather of Young Adult Literature (I don't know if anyone calls him this really, but I'm going to test it out this weekend—keep you posted), it brings over 90 authors together to read their books; talk about writing, life, and knuckle tattoos; sign books and generally confirm the widespread belief that today's YA authors are the most beautifully socially awkward collection of writers since the Bloomsbury Group. Events are throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn, are FREE and are guaranteed to be awesome. Just a few of the literYAti who will be there: Holly Black, Lev Grossman, Ellen Hopkins, Michelle Hodkin, Kody Keplinger, Gayle Forman, Melissa Walker, Sarah Mlynowski, E. Lockhart, Victoria Schwab, and, oh yeah, ME (it gives me hives just to see my name at the end of that list).

I'll be on a panel at the New York Public Library at 42nd Street on Saturday from 2:40-3:30 (we will be talking amongst ourselves about "Shaping Identity When You’re a Teen Girl") and signing at the No-Foolin’ Mega-Signing at Books of Wonder on Sunday (1-4, I'll be there from 3:15-4). Come keep a fellow Sparkler company!

For those of you not in the NYC area, don't panic (see how I came full circle? WRITING!), I'll share photos and highlights. Everyone else, see you there.

Topics: Books
Tags: writing, writers, ya novels, festivals, teen fiction

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Kathryn_Williams

Kathryn Williams is the author of three YA novels but only one with an Oxford comma in the title. She is a Taurus and hates writing bios. Check out her website, www.kathrynswilliams.com, and follow her on Twitter @kathrynwauthor.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.