Skip over navigation

Three Reasons Taylor Swift Is Getting on our Nerves

Three Reasons Taylor Swift Is Getting on our Nerves

The interwebs are afire with news of Taylor Swift's new interview with super fancy mag Vanity Fair. Of course T. Swift was asked about her love life, which we're sure we'd find annoying after hundreds of inquiries too, but ... come on. She writes love songs! About her famous ex-boyfriends! With very thinly veiled references to said famous ex-boyfriends! She wants the attention.

We have three major complaints with her interview with VF.

Our #1 Complaint: Messing with Tina Fey

At the Golden Globes, Tina Fey joked that Taylor Swift should stay away from Michael J. Fox's 23-year-old son, Sam, who was acting as Mr. Golden Globes that night (P.S. Do you have to be a famous person's kid to get that job? Because I'm available.)

In the VF interview, Swift humorlessly said,

"You know, Katie Couric is one of my favorite people, because she said to me she had heard a quote that she loved, that said, ‘There's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women.'"

[Insert mega eyeroll.]

First of all, Fey was joking. Swift is in the public eye. While we would never succumb to bullying or victim-blaming, to some extent, Swift brings this attention (and particularly attention to her love life) on herself.

Secondly, even if Fey was not joking, shouldn't Taylor have a thicker skin by now?

Thirdly, clearly Tina Fey supports women. And even if she didn't, Swift herself denies being a feminist (though in the article, she says she thinks feminism is about "guys versus girls," so she also doesn't really understand feminism). Supporting women does not mean "never making a joke about women." Feminism about treating men and women equally, not about giving blind deference to all women.

Fourth, as some sort of meta-analysis, by saying there's a "special place in hell" for women like Fey and Poehler, isn't Swift, ipso facto, also not supporting women? (Can you tell I'm going to be a lawyer? Because I am.)

Our #2 Complaint: Being Coy About Her Love Life

When asked about dating, Swift denies being boy-crazy, insisting she has had exactly two boyfriends since 2010. She sighs loudly about how it's so hard to be so popular, and says, “It’s why I have to avoid the tabloid part of our culture, because they turn you into a fictional character.”

Girlfriend, I hate to break it to you, but you do the exact opposite of avoiding tabloid culture. You are generating tabloid culture as we speak by talking about your love life! We agree that it can't be easy to be a celeb and have every hug interpreted as "OMG THEY'RE DATING AND IN LOOOVE AND GETTING MARRIED!" but, by talking to publications like VF or Cosmopolitan or whomever about your love life, you're perpetuating the public's obsession with it. Not to mention your entire albums (plural!) filled with songs dissing your famous exes.

And on top of that, she "authorized" a friend to give VF details about her relationship with Harry Styles.

"Although one of Swift’s rules is that she doesn’t go into the personal details of any of her relationships, she authorized someone to discuss them with [the VF author]."

Give me a break, Taylor! We want to like you, but you're making it really hard.

Our #3 Complaint: Lying About Buying a House Near a Kennedy

When asked about buying a house near ex Conor Kennedy, Swift feigns this is all part of the tabloid machine.

“People say that about me, that I apparently buy houses near every boy I like—that’s a thing that I apparently do."

But she really did buy a house next to him! Or, at least her management company did, according to the VF article. Why can't she just say that? Swift would be so much more likeable if she were honest and said something like, "Yeah, sometimes you do stupid things when you're in love. Who hasn't? Moving on!"

Look, we're not ones to get on the T. Swift hate-wagon. She has enough haters, generally for no reason. Additionally, we like feminism. We like her music. We want to like Taylor. But these recent moves are dragging on us.

What do you think? Is Taylor Swift annoying you? Or do you think this is just another media backlash, slamming a cool girl for being successful and having a few boyfriends?

Source: Vanity Fair, Gawker

Topics: Celebs & Stuff
Tags: news, taylor swift, music, boyfriends, ex-boyfriends, tina fey, interviews, celebs

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Valerie Burn

Valerie Burn is a very cool Midwestern lady. She has lived in tons of exciting places, such as Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan. She spends her free time snuggling her beautiful, perfect dog Teddy, and reading the entire internet every day. Valerie enjoys eating things, buying things, and writing things, as well as watching terrible TV.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.