Skip over navigation

Ten-Minute Microwave Chocolate Cake

Sparkler Post
Ten-Minute Microwave Chocolate Cake

I was going back through some old posts the other day, and I found one that I had commented on. I'd never logged on to see the replies I'd received, though, and much to my surprise, I had two people asking me how to make the microwave cake that I'd mentioned in my comment. I figured, "Why not share this knowledge with the college kids of the world?" (Note: high schoolers can still do this one, although you guys probably still have access to an oven. This recipe is pretty much essential for living in a dorm.)

Serves:

• Between 10-12 people, depending on how many servings each one gets and how big these servings are. (When I last did it at my house, the eight people we had attending the party were able to get two servings apiece, and they were all different sizes.)

Ingredients:

• 1 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola (NOT DIET, NOT OFF-BRAND; it has to be real, honest-to-goodness Coca-Cola)
  • 1 box of chocolate cake mix (any kind works, pretty much; I use Betty Crocker Super Moist Devil's Food)
  • 1 whisk (or a spoon, or a fork; just some way to stir the thing)
  • 1 very large bowl (you won't believe how much this makes)
  • OPTIONAL: Mini-marshmallows and chocolate syurp (or ice cream)

Instructions:

1. Open cake mix. Pour into large bowl. Whisk the lumps out.
  2. Open can of coke. Pour coke into bowl with cake mix.
  3. Mix coke and cake thoroughly.
  4. Put bowl in microwave for ten minutes.
  5. Wait. Read a book. Interpretive dance. Pass the time.
  6. Enjoy! Garnish with marshmallows, ice cream, or chocolate syrup.

Be sure to be extra-careful, as this cake holds heat like you won't believe. Also, cover it up when you've eaten as much as you can; it'll keep for a good week (if it lasts that long without people eating it, that is). It's moist, and keeps better than a normal cake, at least in my experience.

**The only problem will be finding a bowl big enough, I suppose. And once you find a bowl big enough, you'll have to find a microwave big enough to fit the bowl. (Unfortunately, none of the microwaves in my dorm are large enough to fit my cake-bowl in. But I still eat this at home whenever I can!)

(Note: You can also do this with white cake mix and a can of Sprite; again, it has to be real Sprite, not any sort of off-brand soda. The steps are the same. It's just not as good as the chocolate cake.)

I hope I've made your impromptu dorm parties a little more awesome! Will you please tell me how your cake turned out, or how your friends responded? Or, better yet, how many people did your cake feed? I enjoy collecting data on cake. Because cake is delicious, and everyone should know about it.

Credit: Microwave from Google. Recipe stolen from my younger sibling.

Topics: Life
Tags: food, chocolate

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners