Skip over navigation

The Fellowship - Who Are You?

Sparkler Post
The Fellowship - Who Are You?

Greetings, my fellow Christian Sparklers! So, this is the first post OFICIALLY under the tag “The Fellowship.” Know what that means? It means our quest has begun! But before one begins a quest, they should know some stuff, important stuff about where they’re headed and all that. So I ask you all, who are you?

Let’s say someone were to ask me this. The conversation might go something like:

“Who are you?”

“I’m WhiteLadyEowyn.”

“Uh, that’s your name. Who are you?”

“I’m a senior in high school.”

“That’s your grade.”

“I’m a musician and writer.”

“That’s what you like to do. Now WHO ARE YOU?”

It seems like a simple enough question, right? And most of us (probably all of us, actually) would try to answer using any of the above categories. But think about it, is that who you are? Compelling, isn’t it. I’m reading this great book right now called “Victory Over the Darkness” by Neil Anderson, and it is really making me think about stuff like this (no, I don’t come up with these deep ideas, I just like sharing what I’m learning). I think we would all have to agree that knowing who we are is important. All of the above things are determined by who we are, but they are not us.

Jesus knew the importance of realizing his identity before setting out the mission God had for him. Does anybody remember when we went into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil before beginning his ministry? Anybody remember what happened right before that. Before Jesus started into all of the tough stuff, the meat of his mission, he got baptized. Now baptism is important, but it’s not my point here. The point is what happened when he got baptized. When Jesus came up out of the water, the Spirit of God descended like a dove and said “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased” (Matthew 3:17). Before Jesus went on the journey of his ministry, before he was tempted and endured trials, he knew who he was. Knowing your identity is important.

We as Christians can know our identities in the same way that Christ did. The Bible tells us who we are in Galatians 3:26, saying that” in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith.” In Christ we are sons and daughters of God, forgiven of our sins and deeply loved by our father in heaven. Why does the Bible tell us this? To help us. Knowing our identity in Christ compels us to live like Children of God. This is key to resisting temptations and sins (though even Children of God will still stumble). This is key to defeating our insecurities. This knowledge is what will keep you praising God on the good days instead of running off to do your own thing, and when life is dark and things seem hopeless, it is our reminder that pain does end, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It affects everything.

I hope this encourages you, because it encourages me. If anybody else has learned any great insights in their spiritual walk, share them! We’d love to hear!  Just write your article and make the first tag “The Fellowship” so that the rest of us can find it.

-WhiteLadyEowyn

Topics: Life
Tags: religion, christianity, identity

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!