Happy 200th Anniversary, Pride and Prejudice!
Today is a very special day in the history of literature: it's the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. In honor of one of our favorite novels EVER, here are the top ten things we love about Pride and Prejudice:
- The characters. Lizzie, Darcy, Charlotte, Jane, Mrs. Bennet, Mr. Bingley... We love them all! They're so perfect and real, we feel as if we really know them.
- The plot is so relatable. A young woman looking for love, dealing with crazy parents, and avoiding jerky guys? Sounds like our everyday life.
- Jane Austen wrote it (obviously). And we basically love everything about her. Her sense of humor, her life, the way she was a butt-kicking single lady writing novels way before it was culturally acceptable. Yep, she was cool.
- The writing. Lizzie's sense of humor is fabulous, the descriptions are wonderful, and somehow Jane Austen makes upper-class/lower-class relations and 19th century marriage extremely exciting.
- Mr. Collins. We love Mr. Collins so much he get his own bullet points. The way Austen captures the experience of being around an incredibly awkward person who just doesn't get it make us laugh every time.
- The quotes. THERE ARE SO MANY. Even if you haven't read P&P , you've probably heard the quotes. “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife,” “What are men to rocks and mountains?” and “An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do" are some of our favorites.
- It's impressive. Call us vain, but we like it when other people think we read intelligent books. Whenever we carry P&P around, we feel like our IQ shoots of 50 points.
- The movies. We could watch any film version Pride and Prejudice at least three times in a row. Bollywood, Kiera Knightly, BBC, even this modern-day version: you name it, we've seen it. And loved it.
- The spin-offs. There are too many wonderful additions to Austen's novel to count, but here are a few we love especially much: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Austenland, and, of course, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries (which we watch religiously).
- The swag. There are so many excellent P&P accessories you can buy that it almost makes up for using the word "swag" in reference to Jane Austen. From beautifully bound books to scarves to mugs to jewelry, the internet has it all.