Skip over navigation

4 Things That Seemed Cool in Middle School

4 Things That Seemed Cool in Middle School

By Ricki Hurtado

Remember those middle school days when we wanted to be rebellious, try new "grownup" things, and make a statement? Yeah, me neither.

I'm as tame as a baby panda, but like everyone else, I had the urge to rebel during this "early-life crisis." Here are some things that sounded like fun a couple years ago that seem terrifying now!

Getting a nose ring. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a nasal piercing! But back in those awkward, early teen years, a nose ring in our mind looked like this or this. What seemed "cool" and "rebellious" back then just seems... strange, now. I think I'll just stick with pierced ears for now.

Getting a tattoo. When I was younger, I wanted a Disney tattoo on my back/shoulder. Come to think of it, I still kinda want some Peter Pan ink. But I now understand what will happen when I get old and wrinkly. The Darling kids' silhouettes will look like weird moles and the "never grow up" line would be painfully ironic. I would be even more painful to remove it! If I want to express my love for Disney, I'll give my artsy friend a Sharpie and have it on for a month.

Dying your hair green/purple. As embarrassing as it is, I did used to want to dye my hair purple and change my name to "Violet." Even if I had the guts to do it, I'm pretty sure my future career options would be limited. I could only grow up to be either a failed punk rock star or be cast in a cheesy "play dolls go to high school" movie. I can't afford to have EITHER of those items on my soon-to-be IMDB page!

Watching an R-rated movie. As a person who is over 17 and has seen a handful of R-rated movies in theaters, I gotta tell you, it's not that exciting. It's a regular movie, but with more swearing and more violence. However, most R-rated films have less nudity and sex than Game Of Thrones, so I guess it evens out.

What seemed super-cool to you in middle school, but now seems lame or just not that exciting?

Topics: Life
Tags: high school, rebellion, school, nostalgia, middle school, memories, junior high

Write your own comment!