5 Ways to Spend Your Day Off
Because I'm a proud American, Martin Luther King, Jr. is definitely in the top 5 of my heroes list. And there is no better way to honor him... than by missing school.
OK, there are way better ways to honor him, but it's hard not to get excited about our first day off in 2013. This is no normal break; this day will set the precedent for how you'll spend your three-day weekends this year. It's not "New Year Resolution" big, but it's a mighty second! You need to enjoy today and be productive—you know, without actually doing your homework (how's that "no more procrastination" resolution coming along?). Here are five things you can do today to become a better you!
- Get some fresh air. Breathe in the new year outside! You promised you'd exercise more at the beginning of January, didn't you? Well, take advantage of your free day by walking around the neighborhood, riding your bike to the park, or going geocaching. Note: If the weather is disagreeable, then run around your house like a maniac or dance your heart out. At least give your eyes a break from the computer!
- Read a book. You already re-watched the entire Doctor Who series on Netflix during winter break. It's time to use your own imagination! Try to read an entire novel today, and keep up the bookwormishness for the rest of 2013. The person who reads the most books wins a prize! ...The prize is a more enlightened mind.
- Start writing that novel. Sure, you're planning to do NaNoWriMo with your friends. But seriously, who has time for 50,000 words in one month? At least start brainstorming different ideas, scenes, and characters now so that you'll be prepared to crush your writing buddies in 9.5 months!
- Cook your own meal. You don't need to be a culinary master to make a simple dinner. Look up easy recipes online to make for you and your family tonight! It's a great skill to learn and it's a heck of a lot healthier than eating out. If you can't do it on your own, then assist your parent in the cooking.
- Go shopping! There's nothing that says being a new you can't be fun! If you didn't already spend all of your Christmas money, go on a spending spree! Buy some clothes for the new year, get some books that look good, or just get a bunch of Hobbit action figures. Hey, it's not a waste of money if you put the product to good use!
What are you up to today? Anything productive?