Skip over navigation

Quiz: How Well Can You Match The First and Last Lines of Your Favorite Books?

Quiz: How Well Can You Match The First and Last Lines of Your Favorite Books?

By Brandon Specktor

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…but after all, tomorrow is another day."

"It was love at first sight. He loved Big Brother."

These famous first and last lines of literature are WRONG. But maybe you can make them RIGHT.

In the numbered column below, there are 15 first lines to famous novels spanning the history of literature. In the lettered column below that, there are 15 final lines from the same set of novels.

You see where this is going. Match the columns, Butts.

Gain bonus nerd cred for correctly identifying the NAME OF THE NOVEL attached to the corresponding first and last lines.

Write down your answers before you look at the key below the quiz. Then tally your score and see how you rank on our super sciencey bibli-o-meter at the bottom of the page!

Don't cheat. Don't blink. Don't let Big Brother see you.

Go.

Opening Lines

1. Marley was dead: to begin with.

2. All this happened, more or less.

3. It was love at first sight.

4. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

5. Call Me Ishmael.

6. The two men appeared out of nowhere, a few yards apart in the narrow, moonlit lane.

7. You don't know about me without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; but that ain't no matter.

8. In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.

9. Fox   Socks   Box   Knox

10. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

11. A throng of bearded men, in sad-colored garments, and gray, steeple-crowned hats, intermixed with women, some wearing hoods and others bare-headed, was assembled in front of a wooden edifice, the door of which was heavily timbered with oak, and studded with iron spikes.

12.  Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded yellow sun.

13. The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way towards the lagoon.

14. When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.

15. If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.

Closing Lines

A. Thank you for a lot of fun, sir.

B. I take his hand, holding on tightly, preparing for the cameras, and dreading the moment when I will finally have to let go.

C. The knife came down, missing him by inches, and he took off.

D. So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

E. It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan.

F. If you do, you start missing everybody.

G. And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God Bless Us, Every One!

H. We’ll take in a quick bite at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

I. I been there before.

J. On a field, sable, the letter A, gules.

K. Darcy, as well as Elizabeth, really loved them; and they were both ever sensible of the warmest gratitude towards the persons who, by bringing her into Derbyshire, had been the means of uniting them.

L. Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart, and the fall through the air of the true, wise friend called Piggy.

M. All was well.

N. He loved Big Brother.

O. "Poo-tee-weet?"

Finish the quiz? Here's the answers:

Are you SURE you finished?? We don't abide a cheater up in this blizzog. Anyway, answers down here:

Psyche! Answers coming right up though, seriously:

See? Answers:

1-G, from A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
2-O, from Slaughterhouse 5, by Kurt Vonnegut
3-C, from Catch-22, by Joseph Heller
4-K, from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
5-E, from Moby Dick, by Herman Melville
6-M, from Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, by J.K. Rowling
7-I, from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
8-D, from The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
9-A, from Fox in Socks, by Dr. Seuss
10-N, from 1984, by George Orwell
11-J, from The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne
12-H, from The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
13-L, from Lord of The Flies, by William Golding
14-B, from The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
15-F, from Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

How'd You Do?

1-3 correct: Yeesh. We'll talk later.

4-7 correct: You are a casual reader.
You've probs encountered some of these titles in class but they didn't do much for you. Maybe you read the odd classic to see what the hype was about, but you don't often go out of your way for literature. Can you explain some cool chemical reactions to us?

8-11 correct: You are a Word Nerd!
You are well versed in the classics and try to keep up with modern hits, too. You read mostly for school, but man do you rock those essay tests.

12-14: You are a Bibliophile!! Not only do you read all your assigned work for class, but you also read in your FREE TIME! That's crazy. Have you heard of YouTube? You can literally watch a baby riding a puppy there.

15 correct: You are a Jerk!!! Um, whatever. We weren't really trying that hard when we wrote this quiz anyway. Besides, you probably cheated. Jerk. Jerky...Jerkbrain. If you're so smart, how bout YOU write the next quiz, huh, Professor McBookenBooks? Whatever.

What was your score?

Topics: Life
Tags: nerds, quizzes, books, novels, famous books

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Brandon Specktor

Brandon is a writer and humor editor at Reader's Digest magazine. He was born in Tucson, Arizona, and wants to write a paranormal Western that begins, "First the cows turned up dead." What should the rest be about? Tell him on twitter @beardspeck.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners