Skip over navigation

The Pros and Cons of Getting Kissed on New Year's Eve

The Pros and Cons of Getting Kissed on New Year's Eve

By Valerie Burn

Supposedly, at the stroke of midnight at the start of a new year, we are supposed to kiss someone. That time is coming. At, like, midnight. If you have a boyfriend or girlfriend the choice is easy: you should probably kiss him or her. If not ... we're in tricky waters, Sparklers.

I have had the fortune (or misfortune) of somehow being coupled up for every New Year's Eve since like ... 2004? Something like that. It has been a long time. This year, however, somewhat by choice and somewhat by circumstance, I am riding solo like Jason Derulo.

I am so single I do not even have plans. That is how single I am. I will probably head to two or three parties and see all my groups of friends and have a wonderful time—because I do not have any little man dragging me down, socially or romantically.

Will I be kissed at midnight? Well, my little Sparklers, that is not the question. The real question is: Do I want to be kissed at midnight? Here is the conversation I had with myself.

Yes: It's, like, something we are supposed to do.

No: You don't know where those lips have been.

Yes: It's just a kiss!

No: Until you get slapped by his girlfriend... or boyfriend...

Yes: This could be the start of something exciting!

No: Don't kid yourself, Burn.

Yes: It's doesn't need to be romantic! You can just kiss a friend on the cheek!

No: You're not making me feel better.

Yes: Why don't you just see where the night goes! Anything can happen!

No: Agreed, anything can happen. Including bad things. Including kissing that guy you hate.

Yes: BUT MAYBE HATE KISSING IS BETTER THAN NO KISSING????

No: Sigh. Get it together, Burn.

Yes: Let's just agree to disagree.

No: No.

Yes: SO WE AGREE???

No: I'm not sure where you got that. Just please, please don't do anything stupid. Namely, do not kiss anyone you hate or any ex-boyfriends or anyone who has a girlfriend, or probably anyone. Please do not kiss anyone.

Yes: I politely decline your offer.

What are your New Year's plans? For those of you that are single (or partying sans-bf/gf), are you going to kiss someone at midnight?

Topics: Life
Tags: parties, holidays, kissing, crushes, awkward situations, new year's, new year's eve, 2013

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Valerie Burn

Valerie Burn is a very cool Midwestern lady. She has lived in tons of exciting places, such as Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan. She spends her free time snuggling her beautiful, perfect dog Teddy, and reading the entire internet every day. Valerie enjoys eating things, buying things, and writing things, as well as watching terrible TV.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.