Skip over navigation

7 Best Memes of 2012

7 Best Memes of 2012

By Valerie Burn

2012 had a lot of things, but of all the things it had, it had memes. Does that make sense? Er, anyway, memes rule.

1. Overly Attached Girlfriend

This meme started when a Justin Bieber fan posted a parody of the song “Boyfriend.” The song (and, well, the original) had incredibly stalker-y lyrics, which gave birth to this stalker-y meme.

2. McKayla is Not Impressed

A journalist snapped one pic of gynmast McKayla Maroney looking, well, displeased. And thus, a meme was born.

3. Grumpy Cat

Grumpy Cat is the best. Grumpy Cat is how we feel every Monday. And, like, every Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday too.

4. The Ermahgerd Girl

We just love the Gersbermps gehrl. She’s hopelessly nerdy, and shares our enthusiasm for books. What’s not to love?

5. NASA Mohawk Guy

This mohawked gent steered the Mars Rover through outerspace and into our hearts.

6. Ridiculously Photogenic Guy

Legend has it, this handsome man participated in a marathon and looks like this while running. Swoon.

7. Dogshaming

As a dog owner, I can attest that I want to do this to my lil guy every time she is naughty. I refrain, however, because I learned that I need to protect her online identity.

Topics: Life, The Internets
Tags: lists, 2012, memes, funny stuff

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Valerie Burn

Valerie Burn is a very cool Midwestern lady. She has lived in tons of exciting places, such as Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan. She spends her free time snuggling her beautiful, perfect dog Teddy, and reading the entire internet every day. Valerie enjoys eating things, buying things, and writing things, as well as watching terrible TV.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners