Skip over navigation

The 10 Best Movies of 2012

The 10 Best Movies of 2012

By Lisa Bernier

Warner Bros.

The end of the year is made for ranking movies! Put your arguing pants because here are the Best Movies of 2012.

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (aka Part 1)
Yeah, yeah, yeah. It looks weird because of some super fancy film technique. But who cares? It's The Hobbit! Bilbo! Gandalf! Thorin! Lots and lots of cloaks! Plus, Martin Freeman is a god. Or should be, after this movie. (Side Note: Sherlock Season 3 was pushed back from 2013 to who knows?! Tears and moans of frustration!)

2. The Avengers
To take a quote from Captain Hammer of Dr. Horribles Sing A-Long-Blog and then run away with it, "Joss Whedon is my hero in all ways / He made The Avengers A Summer Popcorn Treat / Loki was ridic / And the Hulk was even better than Iron Man/ Shwarma!" YES.

3. Brave
I've a weakness for all things Scottish (and yes, that includes David Tennant and haggis). Plus, a girl who can shoot an arrow and kick butt, while at the same time learn to build a relationship with her mother will always bring warmth to my heart and a tear to the eye. Also, did I mention it includes magic, shape-changing, and adorable triplet/bear cub sibling side-kicks?  And yes, it's Pixar, and with the notable exception of Cars 2 they've yet to go wrong with any movie.

4. Moonrise Kingdom
This was one of the sweetest, funniest, most delightful movies ever to hit screens. The two young actors were perfect, Bill Murray was such a basset hound, and now I want Bruce Willis as my town sheriff and Ed Norton as my Scoutmaster. Sigh. Oh, to live in a Wes Anderson movie.

5. The Dark Knight Rises
Despite the weird Bane mask, despite the fact it wasn't as good as The Dark Knight, Christopher Nolan wrapped up his Batman trilogy in a more than satisfying way. Even though it was full of testosterone (and a fantastic Joseph Gordon-Levitt), the movie truly belonged to its female stars. Anne Hathaway was a rockin' Catwoman, and Miranda Tate was portrayed with verve and slyness by the lovely Marion Cotillard. Hey, any movie that brings home Girl Power is OK in my book.

6. Wreck-it Ralph
It's inspired by 80s video games. What's not to love?

7. Looper
2012 was officially the year of Joseph Gordon Levitt. The man was on fire! He starred in The Dark Knight Rises, as well as Premium Rush and also the excellent Looper. Looper, is not about roller coasters and knitting, but about hit men and time travel. Great action sequences, interesting story, and Bruce Willis as JGL senior add up to greatness. If you haven't already seen it, go rent it and you'll understand why JGL ought to receive A Thespian/Adorable Actor of the Year Award.

8. Anna Karenina
I'm a sucker for anything in period dress that's based on Russian Literature. Impossible love, a weepy Keira Knightley, a retsrained (but subtle) Jude Law and Michelle Dockery/Lady Mary Grantham in a small but nice supporting role help to make this movie brilliant. What truly makes the film however is Tom Stoppard's script, and Joe Wright's direction. And yes, the whole "it all takes place in a theater" concept does actually work, and is NOT annoying after the first fifteen minutes. Plus, it must be said: the costumes. The. Costumes. I need to own every single dress in that movie, STAT.

9.  Beasts of The Southern Wild
It's a heartwarming dystopian movie. Did I ever think I would write that sentence? No. Did it just happen? Yep. Quvenzhane Wallis stars as Hushpuppy in a breakout role that ought to land her an Oscar nom, even though she hasn't hit puberty yet. Directed by Benh Zeitlin, the film tells of the odyssey of one small girl in a land of fierce beasts and unknown perils, and creates a completely convincing world where melting ice caps and aurochs are the least of obstacles to a child trying to navigate her way to find life, love, and courage.

10. ParaNorman
He can see dead people, but not in an emo Haley Joel Osment way (btw, what happened to him?). Instead, this zany adventure from the makers of Coraline (mini Neil Gaiman fan "eeek!") is pretty much an animated zombie movie. Yes. An Animated Zombie movie. If you love zombies, love animation, and most of all, love stories where an outsider with a weird talent saves the day with yep, his weirdness, you too will be a fan of this film.

What was your favorite movie of the year?

Topics: Celebs & Stuff
Tags: movies, best of, pixar, 2012, pixar's brave, list, the hobbit movie, anna karenina

Write your own comment!