Skip over navigation

Is Django Unchained Right For You?

Is Django Unchained Right For You?

By Ricki Hurtado

The Weinstein Company

We don't know about you, Sparklers, but this past week has been the best seven days EVER!! Partially because most of us got a white Christmas. But mostly because of the holiday movies. Yes, like the rest of the world, we saw Les Mis and cried five times. But in order to spare ourselves from going home, cuddling with our pillow, and sobbing uncontrollably from happiness, we also decided to see Django Unchained.

Oh man, you guys. Les Mis has some real competition for Oscar season.

Now because this is Quentin Tarantino, you can expect this movie to be very... adult. It is rated R, so the young-uns should probably see a different movie. Even though it's a fantastic movie about revenge and righting the wrongs of history, this movie is understandably not for everyone. There is a good deal of material in the film that could be a deal breaker for some. Allow us to break it down for you:

Blood/Violence
Oh my goodness, this movie had more blood than a slaughter house. This is definitely not for the squeamish. According to Tarantino, the human body is just a fountain of blood, and once it's shot at, it all just squirts out! If that last sentence made you want to vomit/faint, then definitely steer clear.

Language!
Though we admire the actors and script writers for being accurate with pre-Civil War lingo, I definitely heard the n-word enough to last me a lifetime. Remember when you read that word in "To Kill A Mockingbird" for the first time and it was a HUGE deal? Well imagine if that was every other word in the whole book. That's the script. Feel like it might make you want to punch and kick uncontrollably? Steer clear.

Ewww Nudity
Well, okay, there really isn't much nudity in the film. But since the internet is a sensitive place, we should still address the vulgarity! You see a woman naked for a while, but she pretty much covers all of her lady bits with hands and legs so as not to scar your brain. There's also a naked Jamie Foxx hanging upside down. You mainly see his butt, but still... if the nekked human body makes you cringe: steer clear.

Though this roller coaster of a movie may seem a bit too intense at times, we would still recommend it! Not only are the story and acting great, Leonardo DiCaprio actually SMILES!!! Seriously, can you even name the last movie he's been in where he isn't brooding? And it's not an "I'm in love" grimace, it's a legit amused toothy grin! If you think you can handle this movie, then purchase a ticket NOW! If not, then let's just go see Les Mis again and cry together.

Do you think Django is for you, or not?

Topics: Life
Tags: movies, leonardo dicaprio, reviews, les miserables, django unchained, jamie foxx

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners