Les Misérables: The Good, the Bad, and the Amazing
We all saw Les Misérables over the holidays, right? What? You haven't seen it? What have you even been doing? Why did you click on this? Get out! Go see it!
...Now that they're gone, let's talk about this thing like calm, mature adults who JUST HAD THEIR HEARTS RIPPED OUT OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOR ALMOST THREE HOURS. (WARNING: Spoilers. Spoilers. SPOILERS.)
- Anne Hathaway as Fantine. I mean, we kind of already knew this was a casting decision made in heaven, because the trailer told us so, but I got chills.
- DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SING?
- Samantha Barks is gorgeous, and perfect, and everything I want to be, and she was just as fabulous in the film as she was onstage in the 25th Anniversary Concert.
- JAVERT PINNING HIS MEDAL ON GAVROCHE'S BODY. Who okayed this?! Who decided to wreak this kind of havoc on my emotional stability? The tears! The tears!
- There was applause in our theater when Helena Bonham Carter came onscreen the first time. AND RIGHTLY SO. She and Sacha Baron Cohen were fantastic.
- Hadley Fraser's mustache could win an Oscar all on its own.
- THE BARRICADE BOYS.
- Amanda Seyfried... was really short. Should I say something about her voice? It was nice. I didn't hate it. I just never realized how short she was before. I like short people. Kudos on your height, Amanda Seyfried.
- EDDIE REDMAYNE SINGING "EMPTY CHAIRS AT EMPTY TABLES." I don't think I'll ever recover. I was pretty much already sold on Eddie, but jeez, this really sealed the deal for me AND BROKE MY HEART ALL AT THE SAME TIME. THANKS. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU, TOO.
- Too many extremely close close-ups. Is it just me? Was I the only one that found this uncomfortable? There are people that are meant to have a camera shoved in their face while they belt out an entire song. And then there is Eddie Redmayne.
- I kept wanting them to zoom out a bit more so I could actually see the ninteenth-century French scenery instead of just assuming it was there.
- I thought I would be more blown away by Hugh Jackman's "Bring Him Home" than I actually was.
- Was the camera noticeably shaky in some spots? My perspective might be off. I was stuck in the second row, with a) what I could only assume was some guy behind me engaged in a kickboxing match with the back of my seat, and b) this dude right next to me who kept saying "hmmm" quite loudly at the end of each song, like he needed to think it over before he could regale us all with his glorious Thoughts on the Subject. So, maybe the camera was shaky. Or maybe there was too much stimuli and I was constantly on the verge of crazily chucking popcorn at strangers, which can really mess with a person's moviegoing experience. I guess we'll never know.
- Aaron Tveit as Enjolras
- Aaron Tveit as Enjolras
- Aaron Tveit’s face (pictured above)
- Aaron Tveit’s voice
- Aaron Tveit
- AARON TVEIT
- I did it guys... I found my future husband
- I mean, when he sang, "Will you take your place with me?" I whisper-yelled, "YES!", so I consider that a successful proposal
- The wedding’s in June
- Pencil it in
Do you agree? Disagree? Did you see The Guilt Trip instead?