Skip over navigation

5 Last-Minute Gifts for Extended Family

5 Last-Minute Gifts for Extended Family

By Ricki Hurtado

Ah, the weekend before Christmas! After all that work, you can finally relax, drink some cocoa, put on your favorite Christmas movie, and actually enjoy the holiday....

AHHHHHHHH!!! YOU FORGOT THAT AUNT SHEILA AND UNCLE BOB ARE COMING FOR CHRISTMAS!! AND THEY'RE BRINGING GRAMPA JOE AND GRANDMA SHIRLEY?!?! SINCE WHEN DID YOUR HOUSE BECOME A HOTEL?! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!

Okay, okay, calm down. You've still got a couple days to get them something. That's okay, it's still plenty of time. If you completely procrastinated up until this point, don't worry. As always, I'm here to bail you out! Here are 5 easy gifts to get for anyone left on your list this year!

Gift Cards
There is no greater gift on earth than the gift card. It's perfect for anyone, from your picky relatives, to the ones you've only met once before. A gift card is personal enough to say "I know what you're like, therefore I know what you like," yet gives the recipient the freedom of picking out a gift they'll actually enjoy.

Food
Fact: Everyone loves food. Whether you make it yourself or buy it at the grocery store, there's nothing wrong with giving a sweet treat as a present! Get a nice basket and bow from an arts-and-crafts store to make it fancy.

Photos
You may not know much about your extended family, but you do know that because you share genetics, they are obligated to love you. And the more you're in their lives, the more that love is expressed through gifts. So remind them how "close" your family is by giving them a picture in a nice frame! It'll be a good incentive for them to remember your birthday... for once.

Chore Coupons
Nothing says "love" like back-breaking manual labor. If you need a gift for someone who lives close to you, offer them your services. Hey, I'd much rather get a coupon for a house-cleaning than a scarf clearly bought in the little girls section of a retail store.

Ornaments
Yeah, yeah, I know the holiday season is almost over and ornaments are pretty useless now, but they're cheap and easy! Stores are practically giving them away since they'll have no need for them in a week. If your relatives live out of town, or even out of state, get them an ornament from your hometown. Or if you're really strapped for cash, just take an ornament from the back of your Christmas tree and wrap it up. Who's gonna notice?

Are you giving presents to family members?

Topics: Life
Tags: holidays, christmas, presents, christmas countdown

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners