Skip over navigation

Christmas Songs: the Good, the Bad, and the Different

Christmas Songs: the Good, the Bad, and the Different

By Ricki Hurtado

If you have left your home at any time since November 1st, 2012, chances are you've heard a Christmas song or two. Now, I'm no Grinch when it comes to holiday music. I actually like can tolerate a couple of the tunes. But just like Christmas movies, Christmas songs tend to lack originality. However, there are some artists that defy the sugary Christmas cliches and create something new! Here are the good, the bad, and the different songs for this holiday season.

Good: "No Christmas For Me" by Zee Avi

This song is both the cutest and coolest song I've ever heard, and until now I've never thought that combo was possible! Okay, so it's a little cliche (can you hear the "Blue Christmas" in there?), but I love Zee Avi with all my heart! Her jazzy voice makes her sound like the female equivalent of Michael Buble. And at least this song is an original instead of just another cover.

Bad: "Christmas Shoes" by New Song

According to the YouTube comment section, I have no soul and a heart made of ice because I don't like this song. But it's so sappy that it's dripping with syrup! It's so cheesy, nachos are low-fat in comparison! I mean, come on! Not only do they have a poor little boy, a caring heart, and Jesus in the mix, they threw in a creepy kid singing the chorus at the end! This song was meant to tug at your heartstrings in the hardest way possible, but my heartstrings are made of untuggable steel.

Different: "Present Face" by Garfunkel and Oates

Unlike "Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny" in my Christmas movie review, in this case, "different" does not mean horribly horribly wrong. This song is funny, cute, and definitely the most relatable of the bunch. And it's an easy song to learn for you ukulele players out there!

Don't forget to vote for your favorite song, your least favorite song, and the most unique song! The most liked/most commented Christmas song in each category will be featured on the last Tuesday of Christmas Countdown!

Topics: Life
Tags: holidays, music, christmas, youtube, videos, christmas music, christmas countdown

Write your own comment!