25 Reasons to Celebrate December 11th
The world ends in ten days, but you should still be smiling. Here’s why.
1. It’s not Christmas. Take a deep breath. There is still plenty of time to shop, bake, decorate, mail cards, and buy Dan a puppy named Randy. (HINT)
2. The internet is acting iffy this week as Gmail and Facebook experienced outages. The upside: It gave everyone on Twitter something to talk about besides philosophy, culture, and spirituality. Just kidding. Twitter is only for complaining about busted technology and sharing pictures of your bacon cheeseburger.
3. Tomorrow is 12/12/12, and at 12:12 pm you should make a wish. Can someone be a hero and wish for the practical stuff like “no more wars” or “cure for all disease” or something? Then the rest of us can wish for frivolous things. I’m wishing for a giant seahorse that can fly (already asked Santa for the saddle and food).
4. Word of the Day: Sentimental. Definition: A sentence that’s totally crazy. Example: These daily lists are filled with sentimentals.
5. Craft Idea: Glue confetti back together to make sheets of “Wild Paper.”
6. It’s Rider Strong’s birthday! While the Boy Meets World star won’t be returning for the spin-off show Girl Meets World, his real middle name is King, and that’s perhaps the best middle name of them all. Happy Birthday, Rider King Strong!
7. It’s the fourth night of Hanukkah! It’s the night when all little kids who don’t celebrate Hanukkah whine, “It’s not fair!”
8. It’s International Mountain Day! But judging by your decorations, hat, and makeup, you already knew that.
9. The Air Force has a secret space plane and is planning a mysterious mission. It’s like a real-life J.J. Abrams movie!
10. Meredith Vieira will be a guest star on General Hospital. This is mentioned here so that you have something to talk about with your mom and aunt this holiday season.
11. Elf Quote of the Day: “He must be a South Pole elf.”
12. The Pianocade is a piano crossed with a joystick. Play Mozart like you play Street Fighter.
13. The new trailer for After Earth looks interesting. But can someone make a happy movie about the future? Maybe one with giant seahorses?
15. Is the new reality show Amish Mafia 100% real? A reality show that lies? Heavens no! Next we’ll learn that The Bachelor isn’t about true love.
16. Weather Report: Mostly clear skies today, with a few birds arriving in the afternoon who will act like they’re better than you.
17. If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Type it out as an anonymous comment.
18. The Hobbit, Doctor Who, new Star Trek, new Star Wars…there has never been a better time to be a nerd!
19. Final exams stressing you out? Take a deep breath and relax. At least you’re not taking Beginning Exams for a few more weeks.
20. Thanks to year-end recaps, we can all remember things we forgot, like the Tan Mom and Ryan Lochte.
21. Good News: Footage of the giant squid has finally been captured! Bad News: We won’t get to see it until The Discovery Channel airs a special next month.
22. On December 11th, 2009, Angry Birds was unleashed onto the world. Killing pigs with your fingers was never the same after that.
23. Have the hiccups? That’s better than the hiccdowns.
24. Consider This: Dave wants the Chipmunks to sing the Christmas Song, but when they ask to sing it again at the end of the song, he gets angry. Make up your mind, Dave!
25. Quick Poll: