Skip over navigation

Need to Satisfy Your Vampire Craving? I've Got Your Fix.

Need to Satisfy Your Vampire Craving? I've Got Your Fix.

By Contributor

B&N.com

Full disclosure: I spend what many people would consider an unhealthy amount of time surfing the Interweb. And, since I am both an avid reader and a book blogger, I often go onto forums and the like to see what all the hip young people are reading. My laborious Google usage has lead me to one definite conclusion: lots of teenagers ask random strangers on the Internet what to read after completing a certain book or series of books. Harry Potter is the biggest “Whatever shall grace my visual receptors with now that it’s over?!” series, but The Hunger Games and the Twilight saga often get this treatment as well.

But someone already wrote a What to Read Next article for The Hunger Games (I would add Battle Royale to it, but it’s still a good list), and all the series suggested for Harry Potter fanatics are pretty acceptable. But no one's written a list for what to read after Twilight, and I am here to fill that gaping void—not only for the Twilight lovers (yes, they exist, and I'm not here to judge them!) and think-it’s-okay-ers, but also for those of you who don’t like it all that much and want a better class of vampire novel.

Some of the following are more well-known than others, but I hope that this list will introduce you guys to some truly awesome writers who may or may not have been overlooked in the recent young adult novel hypes. Behold, nerds of the Internet! Read, for I have dictated!

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice: Everyone knows who Anne Rice is: the mother of vampire lit. But she’s got that title for a reason! Her novels are fantastically detailed, dark, and sometimes disturbing, and they delve into the challenges that vampires face. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and Antonio Banderas also star in the movie version of this book, so there's that too. The series is pretty long, and it sadly suffers a decline in quality and coherence somewhere amongst the later books, but the first three novels are pretty much guaranteed awesomeness.

The Good Ghouls’ Guide to Getting Even by Julie Kenner: Now here’s a book that deserves more publicity than it gets. The story is about high school student Beth and two of her friends as they strive for revenge against the football jock that turned Beth into a vampire and said jock’s vampire and/or Remfield lackeys. Beth is awesomely snarky and smart, has friends, and has a personality—in short, she rules. Think of it as a spiritual successor to Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld: Vampires combined with science in a way that actually makes sense? Sign me up! “Vampirism” in this book is caused by a sexually transmitted parasite that boosts metabolisms, makes people cannibalistically hungry all the time, makes them slightly stronger and faster, makes them want to have sex a lot to spread said parasite around, and makes them hate everything they once loved—effectively turning them into feral beasts. It’s about Cal, a carrier of the parasite, hunting other “vampires” down and taking them in. It is frickin’ awesome—paranoia and cat-fear inducing, but awesome. I also learned more about parasites than I care to know.

Salem’s Lot by Stephen King: Yep, another well-known guy. It’s an oldie, but a goodie. Unlike the others on this list, the horror elements in this novel are much more prevalent, and the vampires aren’t the kind you’d want to date—or be in any contact with whatsoever. At all. But it’s a timeless tale of a writer who falls in love in a vampire-infested small town and who rallies together his ragtag bunch of misfit friends to kick some vampire tail. There’s even a plucky little kid sidekick, a badass English teacher, an awesome doctor, and a haunted house. How much more coolness can one story possibly contain? Not much, in my opinion.

Read them. Love them.

Post by Nicole-Lyn!

We're TOTES ordering Peeps; it sounds amazing! Have you read any of these books? What are your favorite non-Twilight vampire novels?

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: vampires, ya novels, book reviews, scott westerfeld, book recommendations, fantasy novels, teen fiction

Write your own comment!