Skip over navigation

10 Awesome Songs About Being a Geek

10 Awesome Songs About Being a Geek

By Vadim Newquist

The MindHut

Ever feel like you just don't quite fit in, and you're just a little on the outside of the cool crowd? Don't worry! We've all been there, and many of us gladly stay there, 'cause truth be known, it's awesome being a geek! And with all of these rock stars in our club, we're in pretty good company. Here are 10 awesome songs about being a geek!

1. Buddy Holly - Weezer

Ah yes, the song that sparked the eternal question "What's with these Homies dissing my girl?" and gave us one of the best Spike Jonze videos EVER. This song is a total celebration of all things geeky, and it encapsulates the perfect attitude to have towards all the jerk faces that want to bring us down: "I don't care what they say about us anyway, I don't care about that!"

2. Loser - Beck

The debut single from the indie-quirk-maestro known as Beck is still probably his most widely known. It was released the same year as Weezer's epically amazing Blue Album. At that point, being a geek wasn't embraced by popular culture as it is today. We owe a debt of gratitude to Beck and Weezer for paving the way for wannabe rock star nerds everywhere.

3. Weird Al Yankovic - White and Nerdy

Of course Weird Al is the patron saint of geeks, so it would be a travesty if we left his ode to gangsta geeks everywhere, "White and Nerdy," off the list. It's got shout outs to Stephen Hawking, Dungeons and Dragons, minesweeper, and on top of all of that, Weird Al's rhymes are surprisingly tight!

4. The Donnas - The Safety Dance

Who are the Donnas? They're an all girl band straight out of Jersey that kick mucho butt. Their vibe may be heavily influenced by punk and 80's metal, but make no bones about it, these girls are geeks through and through, and with "Safety Dance," they covered an 80's geek rock gem that beckons you to "Dance like you come from out of this world, and leave the real world far behind…" Don't mind if we do!

5. Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

In 1982, as geek pride was in it's infancy, synth rocker Thomas Dolby cut this one of a kind one hit wonder that became an anthem for science geeks. It really is a unique song if you think about it. I mean, how many songs out there are more concerned with a woman's brain than her beauty?

6. Devo - Through Being Cool

It's this commitment to not being cool that makes Devo the truly cool band that it is, because not caring if you're cool is totally cool. Hey, you know what? That's pretty cool!

7. Kermit the Frog- It ain't easy being Green

This early era muppet hit really hits the nail on the head of what it can be like when we're young and forget how much our unique qualities help to make us the individuals we are; and who could possibly put that better than Kermit the Frog?

8. Oingo Boingo - Weird Science

Just who the heck is this band with perhaps the strangest name ever? Well they're master film composer Danny Elfman's band, and they rock. Elfman, (who's known for scoring Tim Burton's films among a zillion others) really struck on something special on this track, so much so that it became the theme song to one of the great 80's comedies, John Hughes' Weird Science. Catchy title, don't you think?

9. Katy Perry - Last Friday Night

Whether you love Katy Perry or you hate her, everyone should get a little something out of "Last Friday Night." Not only does it have an undeniably catchy hook, but its story tells the tale of a high school girl geek's fantasy come true, and the video, if you haven't seen it, is truly a sight to behold, with Perry in a thick glasses, absurd dental gear, and a denim jumper straight out of Full House. Geek-tastic, indeed!

10. MC Chris - Fett's 'Vette

A song about every sci-fi lover's favorite bounty hunter, Boba Fett and his awesome, pimped out ride? YES PLEASE! This song is so jam-packed with Star Wars references that my the end you almost expect it to explode like the Death Star. "My backpack's got jets; well I'm Boba the Fett; well I bounty hunt for Jabba Hutt to finance my 'Vette. " That's how it's done, people.

What's your favorite geeky jam?

Topics: Life, Mindhut
Tags: movies, katy perry, music, geeks, weezer, rock, geeking out, weird al yankovich

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Vadim Newquist

Vadim Newquist is a writer, director, actor, animator, fire fighter, stunt driver, martial arts instructor, snake wrangler and time traveling bounty hunter who scales tall buildings with his bare hands and wrestles sharks in his spare time. He can do ten consecutive backflips in one jump, make cars explode with his mind, and can give fifty people a high-five at once without even lifting his hands. He holds multiple PhDs in nuclear physics, osteopathic medicine, behavioral psychology, breakdancing, and chilling out. He currently resides in Gotham City inside his stately mansion with his butler Alfred and his two cats.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners