Name That Movie: Our New Favorite Party Game
We can't say why this 1998 blurb for The Wizard of Oz (by Rick Polito) has suddenly gone viral, but we CAN say that it's pretty amazing: “Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.” This basically-true-but-completely-skewed formula can be applied to any movie plot, and once you get started, it's hard to stop. See if you can identify the movies that match these one-line descriptions:
1. Three children are taken from their bedroom by an exotic stranger, who barely manages to keep them alive.
2. A child abandoned in the wilderness is forced to rely on predators for protection.
3. After getting caught stealing from a seemingly abandoned house, a man trades his daughter for a flower.
4. After a life of solitary confinement and psychological torture by her charismatic captor, a young woman escapes to take a chance on love.
5. An eccentric businessman allows children to run wild in his factory; not everyone survives.
6. Obsessed with a man she's seen only once, a girl abandons her family and risks her life to make him fall in love with her.
7. A young man searching for fulfillment discovers the hidden dangers of a broken home, after inadvertently falling in love with his sister.
8. Stifled by his widower father, a son's rebelliousness leads to his own kidnapping; his father must team up with a mentally disabled friend to bring him home.
DON'T LOOK AT THE ANSWERS YET! What movies do you think these plots belong to?
1. Peter Pan
2. The Jungle Book
3. Beauty and the Beast (Original, not Disney)
5. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
6. The Little Mermaid
7. Star Wars
8. Finding Nemo