Skip over navigation

5 Things We're Thankful For In 2012 (And 5 We Are NOT)

5 Things We're Thankful For In 2012 (And 5 We Are NOT)

By Lisa Bernier

The national holiday of turkey, complex carbohydrates, and relatives unbuttoning their pants at the dinner table is right around the corner. This got us thinking: what are we thankful for this year? And more to the point, what are we NOT?

We're Thankful for:

1. The Avengers not being the clusterfrack it could have been. Instead, it was clever, funny, and Joss Whedon-level awesome. How could we have doubted our Joss? We're glad he proved yet again that he's the golden boy of geekery.

2. The London Olympics giving us a summer where we didn't need to channel surf, PLUS various Fab Five memes and Ryan Lochte's abs.

3. The Paul Ryan Gosling meme. (Hey, it was funny while it was relevant).

4. PSY rocking it Gangam Style!

5. This viral video may have been named EPIC Drum Solo FAIL, but we consider it an EPIC WIN because even though the drummer was sick, he kept on playing. A triumph for band geeks everywhere!

We're NOT thankful for:

1. Hurricane Sandy followed by a Northeaster. Really, Weather Lords? Really?!

2. Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen being the overplayed anthem of the summer. What was that song even about? Once that catchy chorus hit our ears, we forgot and sang along. Arghghghghgh!

3. The new single It's Thanksgiving, produced by Patrice Wilson of Friday fame.

4. Romney lost the Presidential race, thereby depriving us of four to eight years of hilarious SNL sketches.

5. The iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini. (Bring it, Apple Nerds). I intend to spend my holiday money on a Great Stalacpipe Organ (yes, it exists,and yes, it is an enormous organ made entirely of stalactites, check it out here) and then learn to play the full score of Les Miserables on it.

What are you grateful for this Thanksgiving? What are you not?

Topics: Life
Tags: thanksgiving, pop culture, lists, gangam style

Write your own comment!