Skip over navigation

Is There a Possible Boy Meets World Sequel in the Works?

Is There a Possible Boy Meets World Sequel in the Works?

By Elodie

If you heard something just now, that was the sound of my childhood spontaneously combusting out of sheer happiness (mixed with little bit of terror).

For those who've never seen Boy Meets World...what exactly were you doing as a kid? "Playing outside"? "Socializing with others"? (No, seriously. Is this what other kids were doing? My mom wants to know.) Well, I'll have you know Cory, Shawn, Eric, and Topanga were all the friends I needed. As well as Louis and Ren. And Lizzie and Gordo. Plus Tia and Tamara. ("Go home, Roger!") You kids these days, with your iCarly and your Sonny with a Chance. I still don't know what that's about. I'm not sure who Sonny is. You know what I'd like to see? A fight between this alleged "Sonny" and Kimmy freakin' Gibbler. That's what I'd like to see. Barring that (admittedly slim) possibility, my second inner child dream-come-true would be a Boy Meets World sequel... which is APPARENTLY HAPPENING.

There's been some talk on the interwebs lately that the sequel will be called Girl Meets World, and it will focus on Cory and Topanga's pre-teen daughter Riley. Seriously, guys. Cory and Topanga were the first couple I ever rooted for. They were the first ones I got behind and screamed "GO! GO! GO!" It was the first time I got so emotionally invested in a relationship that during that one episode (and by one, I mean, like, five) where it looked like they were breaking up FOR GOOD, I fell apart and cried a lot and wrote some really bad, angsty poetry. In retrospect, I realize that's when my emotional investment in fictional characters took a sudden drastic turn. (Thanks, Boy Meets World. Do you realize what you set me up for when Kate and Sawyer didn't wind up together on Lost?)

Riley is going to be their 14-year-old daughter. I'm not sure if the math adds up there, but I'll let it slide because there's no need for factual accuracy where childhood dreams are concerned. They'll also have a son named Elliott. Maya will be Riley's best friend (ergo, female Shawn). Cory will be Riley's teacher, and if there's one thing we know from sitcoms, it's that parents at school equals inevitable hilarity and hijinks.

Look, I feel like this could either be everything I want it to be and more, or it could be like when I learned that they were making A Fairly Odd Movie: Grow Up, Timmy Turner! which, despite having Drake Bell in it, did not meet my expectations of greatness.

But I have one stipulation. I know right now William Daniels has a pretty solid role on Grey's Anatomy (or does he still? I'm not sure. Any Grey's fans want to confirm or deny?), but if this new series neglects to  incorporate Feeny—if there is not a guest role or even a tiny reference in passing—then I want no part in this, and I wash my hands of this entire endeavor.

What are your thoughts, Sparklers? Did you watch Boy Meets World? Do you think a sequel would be the best thing ever, or worst idea since crocs?

Topics: Life
Tags: nostalgia, funny things, childhood, tv shows, shows we love, boy meets world

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners