Skip over navigation

Stuff You Won't Have Time for in College

Stuff You Won't Have Time for in College

By Faye

No one ever says, “I should have slept more in college.” There’s just too much other stuff to do! Between classes, studying, friends, and fun, you’re lucky if you squeeze in seven hours a night. And sleep isn’t the only thing that no one has time for. So Sparklers, if you’re still in high school, here’s my list of things you should do NOW because you won’t be able to do them for the next 4+ years.

-Reading for fun: Oh, how I miss books. I miss the feel of books, the smell of new pages, the way you can totally lose yourself in a story and realize 4 hours later that you should probably eat something. Now, some people can read for fun in college—my one roommate reads a chapter of a book each night. Alas, I am not one of those people for one awful reason. I read like a drug addict. When I get into a book, I will keep reading until 4 in morning. Sometimes, if the book ends on a cliffhanger, I’ll even start the next book in the series. At 4 in the morning. It’s a serious problem, which is why my ever growing book list is saved for winter, spring, and summer break.

-Sick days: Remember when having a cold meant you could stay home from school for a couple of days, eating soup and watching The Price is Right? In college, having a cold means you have to do everything you normally do, except you get to do those things with a cold. The only way you’re getting out of class is if you’re dying... and even then you still have to walk to student health to get a note to show your professor that, yes, you are in fact dying.

-Reading the textbook: Our engineering advisors told us last year that we should read the textbook material before it is discussed in class so we know what the professor is talking about, and then read it again after to make sure we understand it. Sure, that sounds great in concept but I don’t have the time to read the textbook once, let alone twice. With all the lectures, homework, projects, quizzes, and exams, there’s not enough time to learn, gosh darn it.

-Folding laundry: There’s plenty of time to do laundry... just throw your clothes into the washer and get back to work. But when it comes to folding clothes and putting them away? No way. All you need are two piles—clean and dirty. Just don’t confuse the two, because then you’ll have no friends.

-Having television shows: In high school, I followed 3-4 shows religiously. Now I just watch music videos in the morning and the motivational channel (Food network) when I’m working out. I have trouble keeping up with my own life, let alone the lives of fictional television characters. I plan on catching up on everything when I graduate...so no spoilers!

-Video games: No one in college has time to play video games hardcore. That doesn’t stop a lot of guys from lining up to buy the new Assassin’s creed. It just means some less important things have to be pushed aside like homework, or studying.

Can you think of anything else I missed? Let me know in the comments!

Speaking of which, after reading all the comments last week, I have come to 2 conclusions:

1. Sparkler PrincessVenture and I are actually the same person, except I’m her one year in the future. Therefore, someone needs to make an artsy independent movie about our lives (life?) that wins a bunch of awards and hipsters can say that they liked it until everyone else liked it and now they just think it’s ok.

2. In regard to the whole “not drinking thing,” it turns out I’m not alone (and neither are you!). If I don’t drink, and someone posted that they don’t drink, then that makes two of us. Also, one more thing I wanted to mention is that not everyone who is drinking at a party is actually “drinking.” I sat down next to this one guy at a party and I found out that the bottle of whiskey he was drinking out of was actually filled with water. And it turned out that this girl’s “special drink” was apple juice.

I hope everyone had/is having an awesome Halloween week. I spent mine baking an apple pie, carving a pumpkin, watching Hocus Pocus and listening to the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack. It was good day.

Until next week,

Faye :)

Topics: Life, College Advisor
Tags: college, stress, hanging out, faye

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!