Skip over navigation

Should a Senator Get in Trouble For Playing World of Warcraft?

Should a Senator Get in Trouble For Playing World of Warcraft?
The MindHut

As the country drifts uncertainly toward election day, candidates on both sides of the aisle have yet another issue to argue about: whether or not an Orc should be allowed to serve in the Senate! Yes, Democratic Maine State Senate candidate Colleen Lachowicz has been under attack over her "time consuming double life" as a player of World of Warcraft.

David Sorenson, the communications director for the opposing party, has said "Studies have found that the average World of Warcraft gamer is 28 and spends 22.7 hours per week playing." He then added, "Her character in the game is called 'Santiaga,' an Orc Assassin Rogue, and Lachowicz lives vicariously through her, making comments about World of Warcraft and other topics on the political blogs."

The Senate candidate (who has been known to visit Comicons in a fanged-green Orc cosplay costume), has said in her own defense, "So I'm a level 68 Orc rogue girl. That means I stab things… a lot. Who would have thought that a peace loving social worker would enjoy that?" and then joked, "I love poisoning and stabbing."

In response to the attacks on her hobby, however, she has been very clear and serious. "I think it's weird that I'm being targeted for playing online games. Apparently I'm in good company, since there are 183 million other Americans who also enjoy online games. What's next? Will I be ostracized for playing Angry Birds or Words with Friends? If so, guilty as charged!" she said.

“What's really weird is that my opponents are going after my hobbies instead of talking about their record" she continued. "Instead of talking about what they're doing for Maine people, they're making fun of me for playing video games. Did you know that more people over the age of 50 play video games than under the age of 18? As a gamer, I'm in good company with folks like Jodie Foster, Vin Diesel, Mike Myers, and Robin Williams. Maybe it's that my opponents are out of touch."

So here's the question: is this somehow unbecoming for a member of the Senate to openly embrace Cosplay, video gaming, and stabbing things? Was the GOP spokesperson out of line by insinuating that this habit would inevitably cause Colleen to shirk her political duties? Surely as time progresses, more and more politicians will increasingly be interested in gaming, and how can we possibly expect them to steer clear of something that's so freaking fun?

What do you think?

Topics: Life, Mindhut
Tags: games, politics, computers, life, elections, world of warcraft, senate

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Vadim Newquist

Vadim Newquist is a writer, director, actor, animator, fire fighter, stunt driver, martial arts instructor, snake wrangler and time traveling bounty hunter who scales tall buildings with his bare hands and wrestles sharks in his spare time. He can do ten consecutive backflips in one jump, make cars explode with his mind, and can give fifty people a high-five at once without even lifting his hands. He holds multiple PhDs in nuclear physics, osteopathic medicine, behavioral psychology, breakdancing, and chilling out. He currently resides in Gotham City inside his stately mansion with his butler Alfred and his two cats.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.