Skip over navigation

Dressing Up Like Audrey Hepburn

Dressing Up Like Audrey Hepburn

By kat_rosenfield

A few days ago, New York Magazine's The Cut posted an amazing (prounounced: uh-MAAAAAAAAAAAH-zing) lookbook featuring the inimitable Audrey Hepburn, with photos from her debut on the Hollywood scene as a 20something ingenue all the way through her 1990s appearances as a sort of grande dame of fashion. And man, could that woman dress. She was so elegant! So feminine! So gifted by nature with a teeny-tiny waist and a neck approximately five miles long! And of course, it didn't hurt her style icon status the Audrey was outfitted by Hubert de Givenchy himself, for whom she served as a muse.

Which brings us to this: Audrey's signature style, a simple, high-necked shift with a fitted bodice and a big, swingy skirt, a look that she wore over and over until it became unquestionably hers. And while nobody ever has or ever will wear that particular dress to that particular effect the way Audrey Hepburn did, I was psyched to dig this little number out of my closet and give it a shot, anyway.

I belted my version of the Hepburn dress because it's actually a couple sizes too big (am I shrinking? or did I intentionally purchase an over-large dress just to make it look that way? MYSTERIES!), but the rest of the look is pretty dead-on! Minus, of course, the part where I am not Audrey Hepburn. But a short string of big beads, the most basic of stiletto pumps, and some very augmented eyebrows later, I'm totally ready to be fought over by Humphrey Bogart and William Holden. Really, guys! I'm right here! Let's do this!

Head to toe: dress, vintage; belt, Forever 21; pumps, Nine West; necklace, vintage.

Do you have anything like this in your closet? Do you wish you did?

Topics: Fashion
Tags: fashion, audrey hepburn, nymag

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
kat_rosenfield

Kat Rosenfield is a writer, illustrator, advice columnist, YA author, and enthusiastic licker of that plastic liner that comes inside a box of Cheez-Its. She loves zombies and cats. She hates zombie cats. Follow her on Twitter or Tumblr @katrosenfield.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners