Skip over navigation

Movies That Will Scare the Snot Out of You-Or Just Kind of Startle You

Movies That Will Scare the Snot Out of You-Or Just Kind of Startle You

By Kathryn_Williams

'Tis the season for scary movies, candy corns! I love fright flicks. The problem is I'm the weenie who watches the movie through her fingers while uttering a constant refrain of "What's happening now?" True horror fans hate my kind, but everyone has their own threshold for cinematically-induced terror. The worst is when you start a movie, thinking it might get your heart racing a little bit, and end the movie curled in the fetal position in the back of your closet. I like to know what I'm in for. So, for the good of everyone involved, I've ranked these horror movies from paralyzingly terrifying to mildly disconcerting.

These movies will cause you to eject any and all ejectable material from your body (see: screams, pee, contents of bowels). If you require psychological counseling after seeing them, don't say you haven't been warned.

The Ring

Paranormal Activity

The Blair Witch Project

Saw

The Hills Have Eyes

Hostel

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Ju-On (The Grudge)

Seven

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)

These movies will change the way you behave. For example, you will no longer answer your front door or sleep with the lights off.

The Shining

The Silence of the Lambs

The Exorcist

A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original)

Halloween (the original)

Friday the 13th (the original)

28 Days Later

The Descent

These movies may kind of startle you if you're easily startled. They may also gross you out, but not so bad you can't eat your popcorn and Hot Tamales.

Scream

I Know What You Did Last Summer

The Omen (the original)

Pet Sematary (the original)

The Sixth Sense

Psycho (the original)

Dawn of the Dead (the original)

What's the scariest movie you can handle?

Topics: Entertainment
Tags: movies, entertainment, halloween, horror movies, scary movies

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Kathryn_Williams

Kathryn Williams is the author of three YA novels but only one with an Oxford comma in the title. She is a Taurus and hates writing bios. Check out her website, www.kathrynswilliams.com, and follow her on Twitter @kathrynwauthor.

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners