Skip over navigation

The Brooklyn Brothers Beat the Best is Officially My New Favorite Movie

The Brooklyn Brothers Beat the Best is Officially My New Favorite Movie

By Chelsea Dagger

Warner

Do you have any idea how many times I've cracked open a fresh box of Cheez-its, wiped some sweat off my noble brow, and thought to myself, "Man, I wish someone would make a movie about two scruffy, adorable dudes road-tripping across the country and playing incredible music on child-sized pianos"?! Like, a million. In fact, if I had a nickel for every time I've thought that, I would have whatever a million multiplied by 5 cents is (I'm a blogger, guys, not a mathematician). Well, now, at long last, my prayers have been answered; The Brooklyn Brothers Beat the Best is exactly what I've been wishing for, only much, much better. I was lucky enough to see a screening of this brilliant, hilarious film last night, and I pretty much fell in love—and that was before the two impossibly funny, handsome stars showed up and sat 10 feet in front of me in all their funny, handsome glory. (At that point, I switched from "falling in love" mode to "dry-heaving/flop sweat" mode. It's my least charming mode by far.) Check out the trailer below, and then read on to find out how this movie won my heart.

It looks UH-MAZING, right?! It is. But if I were to fully explain all the reasons why I love this movie, it would take up so much space and involve so many exclamation points that the internet would probably collapse in on itself. So instead, I'll break it down for ya list-style:

-The ACTORS. Ryan O'Nan (who also wrote and directed the film) and Michael Weston are PERFECT in their roles as heartbroken, aimless Alex and eccentric, endlessly hopeful Jim. Their bromance is the stuff of legend, their banter is comedic gold, and their faces are really nice to look at—what more could you want?

-The MUSIC. You know when you hear a song and think, "I could spend the rest of my life listening to that and never, ever get tired of it."? THAT'S WHAT EVERY SINGLE SONG IN THIS MOVIE IS LIKE. I was completely blown away by the soundtrack—all of which, by the way, was recorded live by Ryan and Michael. There are too many great songs in the film to ever choose a favorite, but this one and Come On Girl (see the video below) are definitely my front-runners.

-EVERYTHING ELSE: The gorgeous cinematography (the whole movie looks like it was shot during Colorado sunset), the hilarious cameos by Wilmer Valderrama and Jason Ritter, the fantastic performance (and awesome pink hair) of Arielle Kebble, the heartfelt moments that Alex shares with his 10-year-old nephew Jackson, the Potato brothers' frat house, the pink moose costume, the endlessly quotable dialogue—please just see the movie so that this run-on sentence can end. Trust me: you will love it.

Will you see Brooklyn Brothers Beat the Best when it comes out on September 21st?

*Note for the younger Sparklers: this film is rated R due to language, but when you turn 17, it should definitely be the first thing you watch.

Topics: Life, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: movie reviews, movies we love, new music, cute guys, brooklyn brothers beat the best, indie movies

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Chelsea Dagger

Since 2010, Chelsea Dagger (known in real life as Chelsea Aaron) has been SparkLife's sweatiest editor. She's currently working on a how-to-kiss guide for teens, and when she's not conducting smooch-related research on her life-size Joseph Gordon-Levitt cardboard cutout, she's eating pancakes, stocking up on industrial-strength deodorant, and destroying everyone at Harry Potter trivia. (EXPECTO PATRONUM!)

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.