Skip over navigation

The Best Upcoming Movies Based on Books

The Best Upcoming Movies Based on Books

By Lisa Bernier

Focus/Summit/Warner

Fall means the re-emergence of chunky sweaters, ordering a tall caramel apple spice at Starbucks, and a slate of new movies. Of all of these, I like the third the best, mainly because I can wear my chunky sweater while sipping my caramel apple spice while watching a brand new film in the theater (triple jackpot). Naturally, the movies I like best are those based on books, mainly due to the fact I can shout out "they ruined the book!" right at the end when the credits play. Yes, I  am that person. It causes much chagrin to my friends and family. I don't care.

I like to pre-empt my public displays of outrage, so I've looked up the upcoming fall releases that are based on books. Here are my favorites:

TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN PART 2

RELEASE DATE: NOVEMBER 16, 2012

I felt I had to put this in bold and ALL CAPS because really, it's the end of an era. Twi-hards will weep copious tears during the last movie of the last book of the Twilight Saga.  What happens in the book? Rosemary's Baby Part 2, I think. What happens in the movie? Well, Bella and Edward BREAK UP because the trampire (thank you Will Ferrell) cheats on him with her married director! GASP! Wait, that's not the movie, that's real life. Ah, pish posh, real schmeal, it makes for great pre-movie buzz.

The Perks of Being A Wallflower

Release Date: September 21st, 2012

Based on the novel of the same name, this coming-of-age high school story features a Emma Watson in her first post-Potter lead. The adorable Logan Lerman (remember Jack & Bobby, anyone? Looooved that show) also stars. If anything, go see it because the author of the book, Stephen Chbosky, also happens to be the director of the film.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Release Date: December 14, 2012

Bilbo Baggins in the form of Martin Freeman (WATSON!), Benedict Cumberbatch (HOLMES!) as Smaug AND the Necromancer, Ian McKellan (KING LEAR! Shut up, that's cool to English Lit geeks like me) as Gandalf, and Orlando Bloom and Cate Blanchett as Legolas and Galandriel in the first of a three-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkein's The Hobbit. Oh, Peter Jackson. Thank you for saving the project, but did you really have to make it into a trilogy?  The book is not that long. All I have to say is I better not have to watch 2 halflings climb a mountain for three freaking hours again.

Life of Pi

Release Date: November 21, 2012

Based on Yann Martel's Booker Prize-winning novel about a young Indian boy (Pi) who finds himself adrift in a boat with a tiger, a hyena, an orangutan, and a zebra, this book is a challenge to bring to film. However, I have high hopes for it, based on the fact that Ang Lee, of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Sense and Sensibility fame, is the director. I think the man who brought us those awesome fight scenes between Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang can handle the fantastical nature of Pi.

The Great Gatsby...

...was on this list until its release date was moved to the summer of 2013. This does not bode well. If the movie in any way shape or form mars F. Scott Fitzgerald's great Jazz Age masterpiece, I swear to God, Baz Lurhman, I WILL burn my copy of Moulin Rouge.

Cloud Atlas

Release Date: October 26, 2012

David Mitchell's huge, wandering novel took three directors and an enormous "who's who" of Hollywood cast (Imdb it, you'll see what I mean) to bring to life. This will either be the most amazing thing ever to hit multiplexes or the worst thing to happen to movies since Gigli.

Anna Karenina

Release Date: November 16, 2012

I cannot, I repeat, I CANNOT wait for this film. Based on Leo Tolstoy's tragic novel about a Russian woman who defies convention by leaving her husband and child to be with her young lover, it features a squeal-worthy British cast and what looks like gorgeous art direction and costume work. Plus, the screenplay is written by Tom Stoppard. AND it brings director Joe Wright and actress Keira Knightley back together; they're today's classic novel-to-film-adaptation dream team, if Pride and Prejudice and Atonement are any indication.

Which upcoming movie are you dying to see?

Topics: Life, Celebs & Stuff
Tags: twilight, books we love, the great gatsby, life of pi, movies we love, keira knightley, blockbusters, movies based on books, the hobbit movie, cloud atlas, anna karenina, perks of being a wallflower movie, logan merman

Write your own comment!