Skip over navigation

What's Your Tropical Storm Name?

What's Your Tropical Storm Name?

By Contributor

We are now in the middle of hurricane season, a time when the tropics can be totally calm or crazy-hectic. Whilst watching the weather report this afternoon, I wondered how meteorologist chose the names for tropical storms. Turns out, there are lists that they pull from. (You can see the official lists here.) And there are even different lists for different areas. Because I’m slightly name-obsessed right now, I decided to make a name game with the hurricane names! Don’t worry; if your name becomes a super-strength storm and wrecks havoc on the world, I give you permission to change it!

First Name: Choose the name that corresponds to the first letter of your mom’s maiden name. These lists don’t include the letters Q or U, so if the first letter of your mom’s maiden name is one of those, you get a free pick of any name! Congrats! (These include names from the 2012 and 2013 Eastern North Pacific lists.)

A: Alvin/Aletta

B:Bud/Barbara

C: Cosme/Carlotta

D: Daniel/Dalila

E: Erick/Emilia

F: Fabio/Flossie

G: Gil/Gilma

H: Hector/Henriette

I: Ivo/Ileana

J: John/Juliette

K: Kiko/Kristy

L: Lane/Lorena

M: Manuel/Miriam

N: Norman/Narda

O: Octave/Olivia

P: Paul/Priscilla

R: Raymond/Rosa

S: Sergio/Sonia

T: Tico/Tara

V: Vicente/Velma

W: Wallis/Willa

X: Xavier/Xina

Y: York/Yolanda

Z: Zeke/Zelda

Middle Name: Choose the name that corresponds to the third letter of your middle name. These lists don’t include the letters Q, U, X, Y, or Z, so if the third letter of your middle name is one of those, your middle name will be Awesome. Congrats! (These include names from the 2012 and 2013 Atlantic lists.)

A: Alberto/Andrea

B: Barry/Beryl

C: Chantal/Chris

D: Dorian/Debby

E: Ernesto/Erin

F: Fernand/Florence

G: Gordon/Gabrielle

H: Humberto/Helene

I: Isaac/Ingrid

J: Jerry/Joyce

K: Kirk/Karen

L: Lorenzo/Leslie

M: Michael/Melissa

N: Nestor/Nadine

O: Oscar/Olga

P: Pablo/Patty

R: Rafael/Rebekah

S: Sebastien/Sandy

T: Tony/Tanya

V: Van/Valerie

W: William/Wendy

Last Name: Choose the name that corresponds to the place you’d most like to live in. (These include names from List 4 of the Central North Pacific lists.)

Paris: Ana

London: Ela

Tokyo: Halola

Antarctica: Iune

Mars: Kilo

Disney World: Loke

Space: Malia

Under water: Niala

The interwebz: Oho

Legoland: Pali

An alternate reality where animals talk: Ulika

Ermahgerd! I can’t decide!: Walaka

What's your tropical storm name?

Post by Sydney8771 (AKA Sonia Rebekah Walaka)

Topics: Life
Tags: sparkler posts, names, sparklers, weather, name game, tropical storms

Write your own comment!

OR