Skip over navigation

Why You Should Go to the International Science and Engineering Fair!

Why You Should Go to the International Science and Engineering Fair!

By Contributor

This year, I had the amazing opportunity to go to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) as part of the Michigan delegation, and I’m here to tell you that it was one of the best experiences of my life! You all should do science fair projects, and then you could end up going to ISEF as well. Here are the top five reasons as to why you would ever want to do such a thing:

1. The people there are fantastic. If you’ve ever felt alone or misunderstood at school because you’re too academic, you will feel right at home here. You can “talk science” with people who are genuinely interested. People here would rather talk about the amazing projects they’ve seen rather than what happened on the last episode of Jersey Shore, and it’s incredibly refreshing. I even managed to play a game of truth or dare with my friends here without ever being asked who I like, which is practically unheard of anywhere else.

2. The projects are insane. You thought you were a nerd? Think again. Tons of high school kids are doing amazing things, and ISEF is proof. I saw about a hundred different projects trying to find different methods of treating cancer, and the winner of the entire fair found a way of diagnosing pancreatic cancer that is cheaper and more accurate than current treatments! Remember the names you hear here, because you will hear about these kids again in the future.

3. You’ll have experiences that you’ll never forget, and everyone will be jealous. We got to meet Nobel Laureates. Yes, you read that right. They’re actually really nice and funny, and they answered questions posed by students at ISEF. I even got photo-bombed by one, which was probably one of the most exciting things that has ever happened to me! Depending on where the fair is, other cool things happen as well. At the 2011 fair in Los Angeles, Bill Nye the Science Guy came and visited, and all the finalists got to spend an evening at Universal Studios! This year’s fair was in Pittsburgh, and we got to go to Heinz Field, where the locker rooms were open for us to see, and the science museum, where they had all sorts of shows and activities set up for just ISEF kids.

4. You’ll meet people from all over the world. There are a bunch of mixers, including a dance and pin trading, and you can’t help but meet people from all over! Whether you’re on the dance floor with a guy who screams “New York” in reverence to his home state every time it’s mentioned in a song or trading pins with girls from Palestine, you’ll be exposed to people who you wouldn’t normally get to interact with.

5. You can win money! It has to be mentioned, I suppose, that there’s about three million dollars in prize money at this fair. Although not everyone ends up winning something, just the experience is priceless. I really mean that, too!

We are sold! Anyone else convinced to go here?

Post by monicarima!

Topics: Life
Tags: sparkler posts, science, nerds, science projects, nerdy things, science fair, isef

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners