Search Menu
Menu

How to Make the Most of Your Clothes

How to Make the Most of Your Clothes

There comes a time in every girl's life when she wrenches open her closet door, stares defiantly at the bulging, trembling mass of clothing in her closet, picks thoughtfully at the sleeve of a sweater hanging haphazardly on the knob of the door, then promptly shrieks: "I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WEAR!"

This performance is a natural phenomenon and is inevitable, so not to worry. However, the problem lies in the fact that our highly erratic tastes in clothing only lead us to magnify our abnormally large clothing collection and this behavior is completely unacceptable. Because we are all trying our hardest not to succumb to the intoxicating allure of The Shopping Spree, I have taken the liberty of writing up a list of ideas on how to transform the musty, slightly moldy articles of clothing gathering dust in the back of your closet into something you might actually want to wear in public. Because I'm awesome like that.

1. Turn a pair of old jeans into an awesomesauce jeans tote bag.

*NOTE: While this specific idea might require a bit of time at the sewing machine, it is relatively easy to make and is definitely worthwhile.

The first thing  to do is find a pair of ugly, baggy, faded old jeans—preferably your brother's (he wont miss them anyway)—and cut them, horizontally, across the, er, separation border. Now you're left with something that looks like a slightly frayed jean skirt. Next, you turn the skirt inside out and sew the two rough edges together. Lastly, you take a long strip of leftover jeans fabric, about the width of your palm, fold the strip over, and sew it shut. Then you just sew the edges of your strip on to the edges of your bag and you have a new tote! If you're a visual person, check out this super-helpful video tutorial that'll show you the process step-by-step.

*NOTE #2: If you happen to be one of those people who only owns low rise jeans, there IS a way to make your tote bag longer using the low rise jeans that you have; however, I have no clue how to do that, so I recommend being normal and acquiring a pair of geeky, rear end clutching jeans.

2. Spray paint your shoes.
The problem: you want a closet stocked with endless shoe options. The obvious solution: sneak inside Ariana Grande's bedroom and take some of hers. Sadly, stealing other people's shoes is considered illegal; therefore, the second most obvious solution is to take two large sheets of paper, tape them to the floor and wall, and spray paint your flats, sneakers, heels, or any type of shoe in any color you want. Obnoxiously simple–and if you want to get really crazy, you can even add glitter or studs!

3. Splatter your shirt with paint.
This idea involves a lot of paint and absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever. All you have to do is take an old t-shirt, hang it up somewhere, and splatter it with as much paint as you want. For an added twist, wear the shirt and ask your friend to splatter you. When she "accidentally" splatters you in the face, offer to do the same for her and commence taking your sweet revenge. Your paint-splattered shirt will end up having an artsy look and no one will recognize it as the same shirt you wore obsessively every day for a year back in the eighth grade.

4. Make a shirt "collage."
I actually got this idea from a book called Lifted by Wendy Toliver. In the book, the main character takes a simple tank top and transforms it into a beautiful collage filled with buttons, ribbons, pieces of fabric, shells and many other things she finds around the house. I myself have not tried this idea out yet; however, when I do, I plan on finding as many metal buttons, chains, and spare pennies as I can find and glue them onto my old tee-shirt. What do you guys think?

5. Cut out old slogans from baggy old shirts and sew them onto different clothes.
I think it is much more unique to wear a shirt with a touchy-feely slogan than wear a t-shirt with a plain, ordinary, slightly cheesy saying on it. You don't even have to put the slogans on more shirts, you can add them anywhere, from a fabric bag to an old jacket.

6. Raid a celebrity's closet.
I know. We mentioned that stealing Ariana Grande's shoes was illegal, but these spoiled rich kids have way more clothes than they need. It's just unfair! I suggest that The Bling Ring start a flee market.

Post by the_individualist!

These tips are awesome—we're totally going to add some glitter to our favorite Converse! Are you going to re-vamp your back-to-school wardrobe?

Topics: Life, Fashion
Tags: guides, style, diy, clothes, how to, sewing, recycling, tips

Write your own comment!