Get ready, Sparklebutts: The 2012 Teen Choice Awards are coming! Time to pack your bags, rent a van, and head off to Hollywood for this year's annual celebration of all the celebrity teens who make good choices...
...Or, erm, not (because that might be a short show).
Here's our run-down to prep you for this year's show. Starting with what it's supposed to celebrate.
So, what even are the Teen Choice Awards? Well, they're another annual award ceremony meant to give celebrities even bigger heads than they already have. And surfboards! The teen choice awards are not awarded to teens (exclusively, anyway), but by teens. They celebrate the biggest achievements in just about everything you can think of, and are voted on by anyone between 13 and 19 years old. Winners receive a real, full-sized surfboard (yes, it can actually be used to surf) decorated with that year's theme. Which sounds way cooler than a trophy of fake popcorn, if you ask us.
What are the categories? And who are the nominees? Well, buckets and buckets of categories, so we're not going to list all of them ... but here are a few of the biggies:
- Best Movie Romance. This category includes nominees like The Lucky One and This Means War.
- Best Movie Chemistry. Jennifer Lawrence and Amandla Stenberg have been nominated for this one, so you should obviously go vote for them right now.
- Best Hissy Fit. This is probably our favorite category. Nominees include Charlize Theron in SWATH and Steve Carell in Crazy, Stupid Love.
- Best Love Song. Nominees being Justin Bieber for "Die in Your Arms" and One Direction for "What Makes You Beautiful." Plus, you know, some other famous people.
- Best Female Artist. Predictably, you've got Adele, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift...and Jennifer Lopez? She sings?
- Best Comedy TV Show. You've got your Big Bang Theory, Glee, New Girl, etc.
- Best Summer Song. Is there anyone who thinks "Call Me Maybe" isn't going to win this one?
- Best Book. Sadly, Twilight is on this list. If it wins, we'll probably bang our heads on the windows until they break, so please go vote for something else.
- Best Twit. We lied earlier, because this is definitely our favorite category. Nominees include Jimmy Fallon, Miley Cyrus, and also Justin Bieber. Wait, what is this category for? Tweeting? Oh yeah, we know all about that.
What else happens? Just surfboards? Like any good awards show, the Teen Choice Awards are filled with performances and bad celebrity jokes. Here's a few extras to expect:
- Demi Lovato will be hosting. We're not sure how this works, since she's nominated for several categories. If she wins, does she hand the award to herself? Won't that be awkward?
- Justin Bieber will be performing. So you should expect some screaming fan girls.
- Carly Rae Jepsen will sing "Call Me Maybe." So if you watch the show, expect to have that stuck in your head for at least 12 hours.
- Lucy Hale, Dax Shepard, Kristin Bell, Victoria Justice, and some other people will be presenting awards. So we guess Demi won't have to hand herself a surfboard. Whew. We were worried, there.
- Zooey Deschanel, Josh Hutcherson, Ellen DeGeneres, and Zac Efron will also show up. Why, we don't know. But at least there will be laughter and eye candy.
- No Doubt will also be performing. And this is kind of a big deal.
- Twilight: Breaking Dawn has been nominated for 11 categories. Which means it's bound to win at least one, so prepare yourselves and start thinking of scathing comments now.
You can vote for the Teen Choice Awards here and watch the show this Sunday at 8 on Fox!
Are you excited for the Teen Choice Awards?