Skip over navigation

Why I'm Nervous About Owl City's Upcoming Album

Why I'm Nervous About Owl City's Upcoming Album

By Contributor

One thing you should know about me is that I’m a diehard Owl City fan. I’ve been a fan for about three years now, and I have almost every song by Owl City on my iPod. (The only ones I don’t have are the ones that aren’t on iTunesand “Good Time.") On August 21, Adam Young will be releasing The Midsummer Station, Owl City’s newest album. The music for this album, so far, seems to be ultra catchy as usual, and the album art is legit AMAZING. (Seriously. It is so freaking cool. If you haven’t seen it yet, open a new tab and Google it right now.)

So, why am I so nervous about this upcoming album? Two reasons: the lyrics of some of his newer songs and "Good Time."

First off, the lyrics. I bet the majority of readers skimming this article aren’t Owl City fans at all. I have a feeling that many people reading this have only heard “Fireflies” and are thinking, Oh God. That song sucked. It made no sense at all. Adam Young must be on drugs or something.

Before I get to my point, let me explain something to you about his music. Up until now, Adam Young has been notorious for releasing songs with lyrics that, to most people, make no sense. However, his lyrics tend to have a surrealist vibe to them. They remind me of artwork by the famous Spanish artist Salvador Dalí; there’s an underlying meaning or theme in the lyrics of his music. For example, the song “Fireflies” reflects on Adam Young’s insomnia.

Adam Young released an Owl City EP last month. It was named Shooting Star after one of the tracks on the EP. The overall sound was different: Adam Young made it clear to his fans that he did not want to have the same sound as the last album, and he even said that The Midsummer Station’s new style (which, he claimed, is inspired by European trance music) might disappoint fans. The style of music is something I can deal with. His new songs are extremely catchy (although I still think that “Take it All Away” sounds like a Big Time Rush song).

The problem lies in the originality of the lyrics. “Dementia” and “Shooting Star” do seem to have a lyrics style similar to his past works. However, “Take it All Away” and, to an extent, “Gold” seem to have a more mainstream music type of lyrics—which, to me, is bad because I can’t stand most mainstream music (but that’s a story for another day). I like that Adam’s trying to reach a new audience, but I don’t like how his lyrics are becoming so simpleminded.

This brings me to my second point… “Good Time.” The primary problem that I have with this is that he does this song, which has become almost an instant hit, with none other than Carly Rae Jepsen, who sings “Call Me Maybe.”

I CAN’T STAND THAT SONG, AND, THEREFORE, I CAN’T STAND HER. I actually haven’t even bought "Good Time" on iTunes yet for that exact reason. The thought of Adam collaborating with…with her just appalls me. I mean, on his last album, he collaborated with Mat Theissen from Relient K, Breanne Düren from his touring group (he usually does a collab or two with her on each album), and Juno winning electronica artist LIGHTS (who is probably my absolute favorite artist of all time, by the way). Where did he get the idea to collab with someone who is known for what is, in my opinion, the most annoying song ever?

Also, like I said before, the lyrics are simpleminded and extremely mainstream.  “Woke up on the right side of the bed/ What’s up with this Prince song inside my head?/ Hands up if you’re down to get down tonight/ ‘cos it’s always a good time.”

Need I say more?

Do you think Owl City is hitting a third album slump?

Post by cece_fredzilla!

Topics: Music, Life
Tags: music, owl city, pop music, albums, album reviews, new albums, carly rae jepsen

Write your own comment!