Skip over navigation

In Defense of Things That Get a Bad Rap

In Defense of Things That Get a Bad Rap

By Contributor

We're all familiar with those things that are pretty much universally disliked: the gum that gets stuck on the bottom of your shoe; any girl that dates Ryan Gosling; people with super-high metabolisms who can eat whatever they want without gaining a pound. However, there are some things (and people) that have unfairly gained a bad rap, and in this article I will attempt to salvage their waning image.

1. Amy Winehouse
Okay, yes, while her hairstyles did resemble actual beehives (and I’m pretty sure bees inhabited them from time to time), she drank herself silly, did enough drugs to kill a small elephant, looked at times like an over-tattooed skeleton, and would appear on London streets sometimes wearing only a bra and jeans, she was talented. I have not yet heard a song by Amy Winehouse that I haven’t liked; everything from "Rehab" to "Valerie" to "Some Unholy War" has been played time and time again on my iPod. Her voice is something we should have marvelled at, but instead we were all too busy wondering what the heck she was going to do next. It’s sadly unfortunate in my opinion that the world lost such an amazing and tragic singer.

2. Beans
Maybe it’s just at my school, but from what I’ve seen, beans are detested. Every time I go to any Mexican joint with my friends, they will always request to have no beans on their burritos. And that’s at a Mexican restaurant! Beans are a great, low-fat source of protein, and their flavor makes them compatible with practically anything (especially rice). And you know what they say: Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot...Alright, it could just be me that says that. But still. Go beans!

3. The Kardashians
Full disclosure: I am obsessed with the Kardashians. Despite the fact that they were only propelled into stardom because of Kim’s scandalous tape with Ray Jay, they have worked to stay in the public eye and keep their fame. Their reality show on E! is one of the most popular shows on the channel, has spawned three spinoffs (the day when Kendall and Kylie have their own show has to be in the near future), and guarantees the famous family a permanent space in the spotlight. Additionally, the Kardashians work hard! Interviews, modeling, products; while they aren’t exactly curing cancer or solving the conflict in Syria, they keep us entertained so we don’t have to dwell on such unpleasant things. (Important note: when I say Kardashians, I do not include Kris Jenner, a woman who I absolutely abhor. Psycho mom much?)

4. Canada
The butt of many jokes, Canada is constantly referred to as the “Wasteland to the North” or “America’s hat.” Or, in the immortal words of Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother, “Why do we even let you be a country?”. While Canada often gets the short end of the stick from Americans, the country has produced some amazing people (RYAN GOSLING), formidable talent (RYAN GOSLING), and beautiful individuals (Do I even need to say it?). Some other famous Canadians: Justin Bieber, Rachel McAdams, Ryan Reynolds, Drake...need I go on? Plus, Canada is one of those cool bilingual countries where you can live with a feeling of superiority that you can carry on secret conversations behind your American friends’ backs (and in French no less, the greatest language in my opinion). Finally, Canada is totally ahead of us on things like socialized healthcare and recycling. Go Canada!

5. Homework
I know what you’re thinking: what is this girl on? But in all seriousness, homework is more of a boon than a bane. While teachers do sometimes dole out pointless busywork in an attempt to make themselves feel better about the meager job they are doing, most homework assignments do have a goal. All those math problems you do? Practice for the test coming up next week! That English essay on symbolism in Moby Dick? Forces you to really think through and analyze the literature you’re reading. The science lab questions on photosynthesis? Gives you a chance to scrutinize the processes. While I will probably be eating my words come fall when I am inundated with my first semester of college workload, some homework doesn’t look so bad right now. Yay studying!

Do you agree that the above have earned an undeserved bad rap? What else would you add to this list?

Post by ginger00416!

Topics: Life
Tags: canada, homework, reality tv, funny things, in defense of..., ryan gosling, amy winehouse, the kardashians

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners