The 10 Longest Sci-Fi Movies
If you go to the theater next weekend to see The Dark Knight Rises, prepare your buns for some long sittin'; it's going to be sixteen minutes shy of three hours. However, as movie blockbusters get longer and longer, this isn't huge biz. Take a look at some other really freakin' long movies:
DISCLAIMER: This list includes American films released widely in theaters only. It doesn't include sci-fi serials, like Captain Video: Master of the Stratosphere.
10. Inception (2010): Hey look! Another Nolan flick! A specialist in dream insertion prepares to pull the heist that will help him end his career and get his children back. Running time: 2 hours and 28 minutes.
9. Contact (1997): A free-thinking astronomer discovers interspace signals coming from the star Vega that tell her to build a machine. Running time: 2 hours and 30 minutes.
8. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009): The Transformers films are not only numbered in chronological order, but in order of length. Running time: 2 hours and 30 minutes.
7. Armageddon (1998): An asteroid the size of Texas is going to destroy Earth! NASA's only hope is Bruce Willis and a team of space excavationists shoving a nuke into the core of the asteroid. Running time: 2 hours and 31 minutes.
6. Superman Returns (2006): Longer than even the first Superman movie (released in 1977), this revival of the Superman series that kickstarted the superhero film movement was largely panned by critics. Running time: 2 hours and 34 minutes.
5. Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011): This third sequel to the 2007 Transformers film, this one was also the longest. Running time: 2 hours and 34 minutes.
4. 2012 (2009): In "the future," the Supreme Court votes in support of Obamacare and the world ends. Just kidding! But the world really does end. Running Time: 2 hours and 38 minutes.
3. Watchmen (2009): What would happen if a superhero died? In an alternate reality 1985, a vigilante sets out to find how this happened and stumbles upon something greater than any hero expected. Running Time: 2 hours and 42 minutes.
2. Avatar (2009): Chosen for a program to put humans in the bodies of aliens native to a moon in Alpha Centauri, this marine finds that he'd rather be with the natives than his own kind. Running Time: 2 hours and 42 minutes and in the theater, it was worth it. Not so much on DVD.
(The Dark Knight Rises will go here.)
1. The Postman (1997): In a post-apocalyptic world, a man who finds a dead mailman's costume and some mail decides to resurrect the post office to unite communities against a fascist regime. It's like Book of Eli, just mailman-themed and with Kevin Costner. Running time: At a whopping 2 hours and 50 minutes, this movie is officially the longest sci-fi movie ever.