Skip over navigation

The Best Summer Reading List EVER

The Best Summer Reading List EVER

By Jennifer Grudziecki

Sparklers, I'm here to share with you my summer reading list. Which is the best summer reading list ever. Why? Because I said so. But als0 because after years and years of summer reading lists, I think I've honed it down to a fine-tuned science of mixing the best possible combination of books. Ready? Here we go...

• Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. Dac's review of this book was just so good, I finally gave in and picked it up. Plus, I need a good, gripping, easy read to get me in the habit of my summer reading schedule (e.i., reading constantly with no interruptions).
  • The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors, and he's slowly becoming more well-known. This book is the beginning of a series that is so incredibly complex, you should just go read the plot synopsis. I've been hearing about this non-stop from my boyfriend for about a year, so it's time to dig in (it's also about 1000 pages long).
  • The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. This is the main classic work I plan to tackle this summer ... and it's also 1000 pages long. It's (supposedly) the best story of revenge out there, so my plan is to take in this novel slowly.
  • Perelandra by C. S. Lewis. Everybody knows Narnia, but most people are less familiar with Lewis's sci-fi trilogy. This is the second book (the first was very good), and since every reading list needs a sci-fi adventure, who better than Lewis to fill the void?
  • The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett. This charming-looking novella is about the (hypothetical) Queen of England developing a passion for reading which puts her at odds with her regency. Besides sounding downright fun, this book is filling my need for a more hipster, undiscovered summer read.
  • King Lear by William Shakespeare. Shakespeare, too, is an essential. I love this play and it's summer reading required.
  • Keeping the Castle by Patrice Kindl. My YA novel of the summer, this is a Jane Austen-esque read that looks inviting and has lovely cover art
  • The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. Every summer, I re-read some of my old favorites, and this is one of this year's picks. I love this classic-turned-not-so-classic fairy tale! (Actually, I love all fairy tales.)
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Another one (or 13) of my summer re-reads. The Baudelaires and their terrible lives got me through the horror of middle school, and I intend to pay them a nice, long summer visit.

What's on your summer reading list?

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: books, reading, book reviews, summer reading, book suggestions, summer reading lists, reading lists

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

About the Author
Jennifer Grudziecki

Jennifer Grudziecki is a writer, intern, and soon-to-be college graduate living in New York City. Her life goal is to be a space pirate, and maybe to write a book along the way. Follow her on Twitter @JennyGrudzy or on Tumblr at www.jennigrudzi.tumblr.com/

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.

From Our Partners