Skip over navigation

My Summer Reading List

My Summer Reading List

By Contributor

It’s taken me a good three weeks, but I’ve finally come to the conclusion that there are better things to do with my limited free time than binge on Netflix. Some might suggest that I could hang out with my friends, but I HAVE NO FRIENDS. That’s an exaggeration. I have one friend back in town. The rest are have internships and waitressing jobs two hours away. And even though Sherlock is brilliant, there are only three episodes. So I’m going to revert to an old-fashioned medium (as I do every summer) and READ! Here’s my list of books, starting with the ones I’ve already read:

The Cloud Atlas, by Liam Callanan. It took me a whole week to finish, because I kept on getting bored in the middle. Callanan's book is often mistaken for Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Apparently, Mitchell's novel is brilliant, and it's next on my list. (Ed note: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell is one of the best books ever written.)

Ender’s Game and Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card, have collectively been recommended to me more than any other book, probably including the Bible. FOR GOOD REASON. If you’re into sci-fi at all, you’ve probably read these novels. If you’re not into sci-fi, read them anyway; they’re so much better than what you expect.

I’ve also been making my way through a collection of short stories by Orson Scott Card (they’re all fairly miserable, but good if you’re into miserable kind of stuff), and I’ve re-read Holes, The Book Thief, The Westing Game, and the first five books of the Animorph series. All are as awesome as I remember.

The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I’m a few chapters in, and honestly, I like the BBC series better. The pacing of the books is weird. Arthur Conan Doyle fans: if you would refrain from murdering me in my sleep, I’d be very grateful.

The Passage, by Justin Cronin, is apparently a retelling of the vampire myth with a post-apocalyptic techno-dystopia kind of feel, and is also apparently much better than it sounds. But I dunno. Sounds pretty good to me.

The Road,
by Cormac McCarthy, is on the Oprah Book Club list (ugh), but, on the plus side, it's post-apocalyptic. I’m ALWAYS up for post-apocalyptic books.

The Autobiography of Frederick Douglass, by Frederick Douglass. One non-fiction book per summer is just about my limit (aside from school reading). Someone once told me that everyone should read Douglass' autobiography, and I figure that, being a physics major, nothing’s going to force me to but my own ridiculous self-imposed rules.

The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury. As he has sadly passed away, I figure the best way respect him is to read this apparently awesome collection of short stories. AND they sound vaguely post-apocalyptic!

The Harry Potter Series.
It’s inevitable. I’ll reread the whole series this summer. I always do. This is not something I can help.

Ginger’s Song of the Week: Watching Mr. Ratburn rap made me giggle for a solid five minutes.

What's on your summer reading list?

Related post: Reading List for the Yale-Bound

Topics: Books, College Advisor
Tags: sparkler posts, summer, sci fi, books, reading, life according to ginger, summer reading, science fiction

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners