Skip over navigation

The Book That Changed My Life: Walk Two Moons

The Book That Changed My Life: Walk Two Moons

By Contributor

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech is a story with many layers—the main story is about Salamanca Tree Hiddle, who is on a road trip with her eccentric grandparents to visit her mother, who is in Lewiston, Idaho. This trip means a lot to Sal, as her mother left one morning and never came back; by following in her footsteps, Sal hopes to discover the truth about her mom. On their way there, her grandparents ask her to tell them a story, and she chooses to tell the story of Phoebe Winterbottom, the girl with the wildest imagination possible. In doing so, she realizes that there is another story to be uncovered.

Reading this book made me realize a few things about life, and here they are:

• Relationships can be complicated, but romantic fluff is awesome. This book struck the perfect balance between romantic and family relationships. Yes, Ben and his cartoon drawings of Sal are endearing, and the author really manages to build up their friendship until romantic involvement becomes the most natural course of action for them, but relationships with mothers are also explored, too, as is the importance of friendship.
  • The life lessons. I know this sounds really lame, but please bear with me. Now would be a good time to point out that the title of the book, Walk Two Moons, is actually part of a proverb, “Never judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins.”  This is the main theme of the book, but there are also other tidbits of wisdom that have stuck with me. Whenever I’m about to start arguing with my sister about how no, I will not let you have the last slice of bacon, that annoying voice in my head always says, “In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter?”
  • The sarcasm. This book officially introduced me to the language of sarcasm, which sadly I have not mastered yet. Okay, so Sal is not really a sarcastic narrator, but there is a chapter which is pure gold.
  • The setting. This may or may not apply to you, but I’m not American. My view on Americans was solely based on what I saw on television, so up until I was eleven I thought that Americans were either blonde or obese (hooray for stereotypes). This book made me realize that, well, Americans are not stupid. They have history, culture, and are actually intelligent human beings with brains and emotions (I’m sorry in advance if this is offensive). What makes this book even better is that Sal is actually a Native American (she doesn’t like being called an Indian), and seeing the world through her eyes made me feel like I should go hug the nearest tree.

Walk Two Moons is the type of book that made me think, made me laugh and cry, and made me want to read it over and over again. I never stop recommending this to people to read.

Have you ever read Walk Two Moons?

Post by ChocoCoveredOddities.

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: sparkler posts, books, books we love, book recommendations, books week, books that changed our lives, walk two moons

Write your own comment!