Oh my Gilbert Blythe, they're making a new Anne of Green Gables!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Sparklers, in an announcement that we can only assume was timed to coincide with Books Week, the CBC has said that they're working on a brand-new adaptation of the classic series about a feisty bookworm who's basically the OG Sparkler.
We're thrilled, of course, but we're also a little scared. As the gals at Jezebel point out, the new series will be set "in a more modern era," and that's worrisome. What if the CBC gets too modern? If they make any of the following changes, we're staging Occupy Avonlea.
- one-room schoolhouse --> tony Upper East Side private school
- broken slate --> cracked iPhone screen
- puffed sleeves --> jorts
- unhealthy obsession with the Lady of Shalott --> unhealthy obsession with paranormal teen fiction
- gentle farmer uncles --> drunken blogging aunts
- bridge makeouts --> sexting
- drinking current wine with Diana --> drinking Purell
- typhoid --> HPV
- the white way of delight --> Facebook
Do you love Anne of Green Gables? Will you watch the new series?
Related post: An Interview with Writer Cynthia Hand