Skip over navigation

Children's Books That Never Get Old

Children's Books That Never Get Old

By Contributor

Summer is a great time to sit down and read books that don't require much thought (though I suppose if you want to whip out your copy of The Three Musketeers, go for it). Now, I love mindless YA novels just as much as the next person, but do you know what I like even more? Children’s novels! I don’t mean Junie B. Jones or Goosebumps. I mean the kids’ books that you adored when you were younger. The ones you can still pick up and enjoy! Here’s my list of children’s books that are wonderfully fantastic and can never get old.

5. Encyclopedia Brown by Donald J. Sobol

The Sherlock Holmes of children, Encyclopedia Brown is the genius of his town and can solve any mystery he is given. I am nowhere close to having read all of the books in the Encyclopedia Brown series, but I owned a few and can always pick one up and read my favorite stories. What was great about Encyclopedia Brown was that even though it was a kids’ book, you really had to think to solve the mystery; Sobol never took it easy on you. I’m pretty sure I never solved the mystery before I read the answer in the back of the book. This series is hard to forget and easy to pick up and enjoy.

4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

I have read this book at least five times, and every time it is just as wonderful as the last. If you have never heard of it, you are seriously missing out. This book is extremely amusing, cute, and clever, and makes you wish Roald Dahl had actually MADE Willy Wonka’s factory instead of just writing about it. If you have never read it, please do. Right now. (And then read Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator because I never have and I want someone to tell me if it's worth it.)

3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

If you don’t know about Narnia by now, you must not live in civilized society, and in that case, how do you have a computer? Most people know the basic story of TLTWATW (long acronym), but, surprisingly, a lot of people have not read it, and to that I say WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? I have read the Narnia series practically every summer since I was young and they are wonderful books full of adventure, sword fights, a talking lion, and happy endings--I highly recommend all of them. Warning: Start with TLTWATW, but then read them in chronological order (not the order they were written), because the series makes more sense chronologically. Or you can do whatever you wish and be highly confused.

2. Once Upon A Marigold by Jean Ferris

This was my favorite book through fifth grade and most of middle school. I’m not very good at summarizing books, so my best attempt is this: a cute, funny love story about a normal (sort of) boy falling in love with a princess. That was an absolutely terrible description, so I suggest you look up a summary or read the back of the book or something to get the idea. I have always been fond of romantic stories, and this one is innocent AND interesting, which is not something most romantic novels can say.

1. Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Yes, THE Suzanne Collins. Most people know her as the author of The Hunger Games but don’t realize she wrote a series before that. It started with a boy accidentally falling down a laundry chute with his sister and ended up in an underground world filled with pale people and talking animals. Personally, I like Gregor the Overlander much more than Hunger Games, but maybe that’s because I enjoy fantasy novels. The book never gets dull and all of the characters are quite loveable (even Ripred). You might want to check out all of the novels in the series at the same time though, because they are quick reads and extremely hard to put down once you start.

Of course, there are many books that I didn’t include, but these are my top five (or at least the five I could think of off the top of my head). Now go celebrate Book Week by reading them!

Post by book_lover2011!

What's your favorite children's book?

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: sparkler posts, books we love, novels, children's books, children, kids books, book, books week, fantasty novels

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!