Is it possible to get a summer hangover? Like you have so much unfettered fun and stay up all hours of the day and end up so burned out as to feel physically ill?
I think I may have one. I woke up today without plans for the first time in a week, and I was not pleasantly surprised. It looks like vandals ransacked my room, found nothing of value, and ransacked it some more out of spite. Instead of lolling around, I pulled up the slack in my pants and started cleaning up.
At this moment, the laundry is going, I just finished vacuuming, and I actually made my bed. Personally I feel like I deserve a medal, but that might be a bit much considering the most I did was a bit of light housekeeping. Instead I’m rewarding myself with banana pancakes.
Banana pancakes are not only Jack Johnson’s business, but also mine. My banana pancakes are awesome because they’re delicious and fairly healthy; also, they might give you shiny hair. (That last part may not be strictly true, but I needed these pancakes to sound appropriately appealing, because they are so good you should make them even if you don’t need a reward.)
Makes 8 pancakes
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 ½ cups milk
2 tbsp melted and cooled butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 medium banana
extra butter for cooking
1. Mix dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, beat eggs and stir in milk and butter.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients, taking care not to overmix the batter.
4. Chop banana into small pieces.
5. Gently stir banana pieces into batter.
6. Over medium low heat, spread a bit of butter on the pan. When that is warm, spoon slightly more than an 1/8 cup of batter onto the pan. Shake the pan slightly to even out the batter.
7. When bubbles start appearing and popping on the pancake, flip it and cook the other side.
8. Plate and eat with syrup.
Note: The pancake will cook more quickly on the other side—it will only take 1-2 minutes to get done.
We're going to make these as a reward for getting through another week. Who's with us?
Related post: How to Make Ice Cream