Skip over navigation

Camp NaNoWriMo: Your Summer Writing Challenge

Camp NaNoWriMo: Your Summer Writing Challenge

By Jennifer Grudziecki

If you're like me, you always wish you could do NaNo in November, but you never do. Because, well, there's all those dumb exams. Plus the holidays; because really, who wants to be struggling to write over Thanksgiving? (Okay, the answer to that is clearly lots of people.) But anyway, school and life and busyness always come up as excuses not to NaNo...but now I have none, and neither do you.Why is that? Because for the second year in a row, the geniuses behind NaNoWriMo are offering Camp NaNoWriMo. Camp NaNo is basically the same as regular NaNo. It has the same rules and the same word-count goal. The main difference is that it happens in the summer, when most of us have nothing but summer jobs and beach trips to stop us from writing.

You can choose either June or August as your month of choice, and then it's time to get writing. If you're a NaNoN00B like me, you may want to know a few things before beginning:

• You don't actually write on the site. Maybe this is dumb, but I spent about an hour searching the website for a place to write my novel before finally discovering you're supposed to write the novel on your own word-processor.
  • There are cabins. Since I've never done normal NaNo, I don't know if this is very different than normal. But you can opt to be put in a cabin of other writers (either randomly, by age, by invitation, or by genre), or you can opt to go solo. Basically, your cabin is there to offer support and be a little community for you.
  • You don't get anything for winning. Besides pride and bragging rights, I mean. But it's worth it just to push yourself as a writer.
  • June has already started! You can still sign in for June, but of course you're six days late. Which doesn't make it impossible or anything; you just have to write 2,000 words per day for the rest of the month to hit your goal. When you think about, that's not so bad.

So, if you're planning on writing, it's time to get a plot together. And if you're not planning on writing, you should be. And if you are writing, we'd love to hear your ideas so far!

Anybody else participating in Camp NaNo?

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: writing, books, novels, reading, nanowrimo, fiction, fictional heroes, the internets, camp nanowrimo, nano, writing books

Write your own comment!

OR

About the Author
Jennifer Grudziecki

Jennifer Grudziecki is a writer, intern, and soon-to-be college graduate living in New York City. Her life goal is to be a space pirate, and maybe to write a book along the way. Follow her on Twitter @JennyGrudzy or on Tumblr at www.jennigrudzi.tumblr.com/

Wanna contact a writer or editor? Email contribute@sparknotes.com.