Skip over navigation

Why Star Wars is the Hugest Deal EVER

Why Star Wars is the Hugest Deal EVER

By Contributor

How many of you know what the significance of our most recent May 25th was?  I don’t see any hands!  Do you know what this means?  The world is going to be lost to the Dark Side! (That was a huge hint, by the way).May 25, 2012 marked the 35th anniversary of the release of the very first ever Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.  That's right:  Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, C3P0, R2D2, and Darth Vader made their debut to the whole darn world on that historic day in 1977.  This is a huge and monumental moment! And yet  I didn’t see a single article. Thank heaven I'm here to repair that.

Why is Star Wars so important, you ask? Well, let’s look at it.  Beginning small, A New Hope was the kick off to one of the most widely successful movie franchises in history. To this day the Star Wars franchise has made over $22,000,000,000.  Yes, that’s 22 billion. With a very large “b.”  To put that in perspective, here's a comparison: Bill Gates used to make about $10 million a year. For those of you unwilling to do math, Gates would be working for 2200 years to make what the Star Wars franchise has.

Okay, maybe you're thinking, Dude, money isn't everything! And that's true, so here’s some more for you.  Star Wars has permeated our society arguably more than any other series like it. Now, I’m one of the biggest Harry Potter fans in the world, but even I have to admit that more people are more familiar with Star Wars. If you walked up to anyone on the street and asked “What do you know about Darth Vader?” I will guarantee that almost every single one could at least attempt his trademark breathing without missing a beat. Maybe people don't know the whole story, but they probably at least know the characters.

What, riches and worldwide recognition aren't enough?  It’s impossible to please you people. But even so, let’s consider one last thing: Star Wars provides a modern-day example of every single step of the Hero’s Journey story structure. Because someone will die if I name all of the steps, I’ll just give a few examples. Talisman? Lightsaber. Guide/Mentor? Obi-Wan and Yoda. (And who doesn’t like Yoda?) Road of Trials? Getting captured by the Empire repeatedly. Atonement with the Father?  “Luke, I am your father.” (George Lucas actually didn’t plan that when he created the first movie, by the way.)  Apotheosis? Luke hangs underneath Cloud City on a cross (yes kids, that’s symbolism).  Every step is awesomely represented in one way or another.

So, who's going to ask their teacher to study Star Wars to learn about the Hero’s Journey?

Post by Mistborn 007!

Photo from SplashNews

Topics: Life
Tags: movies, nerds, star wars, geeks, movies we love, darth vader, may, may 25, nerd movies

Write your own comment!