Skip over navigation

I Have the Best Job in the World: Camp Counselor Edition

I Have the Best Job in the World: Camp Counselor Edition

By Contributor

I have the best job in the world.  "Why is that?" you might ask.  Well, how many people get to say that they are paid to spend their days lazing around in the sun and making friendship bracelets? Where else is it socially acceptable to burst into song on the job or come to the office dressed up as a pirate? I get to do all that and more for my job as a member of that fantastic group of summer superheros you mere mortals call the camp counselors. In honor of the beginning of another fabulous summer, I've compiled a list of a few things that make my job so fantastically awesomesauce.

Acting like a kid. I can't count the number of times I've paused during a water-balloon fight or looked at myself in the mirror and thought to myself I can't believe they're paying me to do this. Being a camp counselor means more than just getting in touch with my inner child.  It means going over to her house with hula hoops and some silly string because the two of us are going to be pretty much inseparable for the next few months.

Being a role model. Little kids are like sponges—they suck in everything they see and spit it right back at you later.  That means it's my job to make sure they have a lot of fun and interesting things to soak up.  It also means that the campers challenge me to be a better, more conscientious person than I would be otherwise.

Other Counselors. Have I mentioned that I get to do this with about 10 other people who are just as crazypants as me?  Summer camp staff members are almost as famous for our ability to form friendships as we are for our off-key singing skills.

Bug Juice. Ah, bug juice. The champagne of summer camp.  No one knows what exactly goes into this fabulous mixture, and it's unlikely that anyone will ever truly understand.  Bug juice is the drink of summer champions; it's a little fruity, a little sweet, and completely irreplaceable.

The Campers. I love my campers (most of the time).  They make me laugh, cry, and draw fabulous sailboats on my hands during Arts & Crafts.  I might not like all of them every second of every day, but I will stick up for them to the end. Mess with my camper and you mess with me!

Playing Dress-up. No, seriously, I get to wear neon spandex to work.  And sometimes even carry around a stick shouting avada kedavra at my fellow counselors while they cower in fear. Take that, business casual!

Talking to campers. Kids are extremely entertaining conversationalists.  Did you know that it's possible to fit 127 bracelets on one arm? I do. A camper told me. (At which point I told her that it was probably wise not to try and beat the record.)

THE SUN. This needs no further explanation. Also, cool kids wear sunscreen.

Life Skills. I've learned a lot of important lessons while being a camp counselor.  I learned how to be a lifeguard, how to rock climb, how to make a homesick camper smile, and even how to fence.  I learned how to save lives and broaden horizons.  There's nothing I would trade for the things I've learned.

Everything else. I could go on for days about the things that make my job so rewarding.  The truth is that everything about being a camp counselor is awesome.  Even if my camp doesn't have llamas.

Post by: missmolly02481!

Who's ready to quit their job and become a counselor?

Topics: Life
Tags: sparkler posts, jobs, camp, summer, kids, summer jobs, summer camps, camp counselors, cool jobs

Write your own comment!