Skip over navigation

The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races

By Contributor

Let’s blog a must-read agaaaaaiiiinnnn!

Book: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Synopsis: On Thisby Island, the annual Scorpio Races, in which men race deadly water horses (like regular horses but bigger and carnivorous) along the beach for fame, glory, and money, are everything. They symbolize everything that makes Thisby what it is. Sean Kendrick has always been the one to beat, but this year is different, this year winning the races means getting the one thing he’s always wanted, but it could also mean hurting someone he’s grown to care about. For Puck Connolly, the first female ever to enter, winning the races means holding on to the life she loves.

Is this a “must-read”?: Eh…

Why?: The plot is interesting, but the development is so subtle you can barely even tell it’s developing. I did like that the female protag, Puck, isn’t exalted for what seems to be a near-constant case of PMS (unlike a lot of other moody, angsty, jaded protags), it’s actually one of her character flaws. And her growth throughout the novel is interesting, especially as it parallels Sean’s growth. The races function as a way for both to figure out what it is they really want from the island and from life. I wasn’t in love with the pacing and it dragged in places. While water horses (also called capaill uisce, which is pronounced “capple ishka”) are present, the focus is more on the characters’ journeys, and depending on how you feel about books with monsters that aren’t really about said monsters, that could be good or bad. There’s not nearly as much action as you’d expect, and what action there is doesn’t come off as action because Stiefvater's writing style is so cerebral. I’d say go ahead and check it out, but not if you’re looking for a quick, action-packed read.

Next time: Dead to You by Lisa McMann

Post by dac213!

Have you read The Scorpio Races? What'd you think?

Topics: Books, Life
Tags: ya novels, book reviews, book recommendations, teen fiction, blogging b&n.com's must-reads, the scorpio races

Write your own comment!

Write your own comment!

From Our Partners